Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
Well that is new information :)

3 apple support reps and none of them mentioned beta.iCloud.com

I see both libraries yes, not sure if it helps me or not but I’m going to try and play around.

Thank you!
In fairness to them, they are not really paid or trained to support beta software. 🙂 I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t know about it.
Mine is still stuck on both ends leaving and deleting even after clearing out the shared. On the side that created it and is stuck deleting, the toggle for shared library under the camera app is also still there.

• Sad
Reactions: freddyfredfredster

krazyleb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Edmonton
In fairness to them, they are not really paid or trained to support beta software. 🙂 I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t know about it.
Mine is still stuck on both ends leaving and deleting even after clearing out the shared. On the side that created it and is stuck deleting, the toggle for shared library under the camera app is also still there.
Are you able to upload/download normally your unshared library?

Just trying to get to a point where I can still backup photos, right now I can’t because it’s stuck

dtv4251

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2020
On the side that created it and is stuck deleting, the toggle for shared library under the camera app is also still there.

That was also the case with me. You probably already tried it, but try disabling iCloud Photosync for a moment in iCloud Settings of all devices.

krazyleb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Edmonton
So I logged onto my account, and recovered everything in my shared deleted folder. Now my photos are slowly migrating from the shared space to my personal space.

It triggered something so I might be in luck let’s see what happens.

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
Are you able to upload/download normally your unshared library?

Just trying to get to a point where I can still backup photos, right now I can’t because it’s stuck
From the website, yes. Onto a device, there is zero syncing activity happening up or down.
That was also the case with me. You probably already tried it, but try disabling iCloud Photosync for a moment in iCloud Settings of all devices.
I did yes.

I think they should probably add an option to manage all of this on the online portal. I think it just got stuck on the deletion request for some reason and didnt send it. Seems like if I was able to request deletion again it may work.

I tried to duplicate the issue on and additional device and account creating a small shared library, letting everything sync and deleting it and it worked as it should. Will be curious to watch as the betas get released to see what resolves it. I’m sure it will be a priority to fix since Apple really wants the ability for quick exits from shared libraries

Please take the time to report if you haven’t 🙂

ariusbb

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2013
So I enabled Shared Library and migrated everything - but then I realised that I couldn't access it from my iPhone (I installed iOS 16 on my iPad).
So I downgraded my iPad to iOS 15 and now I'm getting a message that says (both on iPhone and iPad) that I need to upgrade to iOS 16 to view my photos.

As suggested I can see them through beta.icloud.com under the Shared Library.
I'm wondering if I could use the web interface to move everything back to the Personal Library. I couldn't find something like that though....

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
So I enabled Shared Library and migrated everything - but then I realised that I couldn't access it from my iPhone (I installed iOS 16 on my iPad).
So I downgraded my iPad to iOS 15 and now I'm getting a message that says (both on iPhone and iPad) that I need to upgrade to iOS 16 to view my photos.

As suggested I can see them through beta.icloud.com under the Shared Library.
I'm wondering if I could use the web interface to move everything back to the Personal Library. I couldn't find something like that though....
I would make sure you are trying through an Ipad or desktop. Then go to your shared library through the web portal. If there is a select option in the top right do that and try to select some photos. Then check options at the top and see if there is an option to move. If it does not exist, I would just sit tight until the future updates fix the issue.

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Maybe it's a time thing, Its only been about 12 hours. It is a massive library of nearly 200gb.

I did two actions at once which probably wasn't too wise. My wife left the shared library which triggered her personal library being copied back, then I deleted the shared library. Probably not the smartest thing.
Let me get this straight. You used your personal account and wife's personal account...on beta software, and then proceeded to test it using 200GB worth of real photos...and then deleted it?? You like to live dangerously I see. I hope you learned a lesson here lol

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Okay this is concerning. What would happen if you upgrade iOS16 but your mac is not on Ventura? You wouldn't be able to view photos on your mac?

My laptop is capped at Big Sur so I wouldn't be unable to upgrade even if I wanted.

krazyleb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Edmonton
Let me get this straight. You used your personal account and wife's personal account...on beta software, and then proceeded to test it using 200GB worth of real photos...and then deleted it?? You like to live dangerously I see. I hope you learned a lesson here lol
Lol it’s not a real risk, I have my library like triple backed up. I have them on Amazon prime, backed up mac photo library and I have raw versions of all files. I’m not that crazy!

Just a pain that my account is messed up. That has never happened on a beta.

Reactions: arkitect

krazyleb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Edmonton
Okay this is concerning. What would happen if you upgrade iOS16 but your mac is not on Ventura? You wouldn't be able to view photos on your mac?

My laptop is capped at Big Sur so I wouldn't be unable to upgrade even if I wanted.
I actually didn’t think of this, there needs to be a solution for folk’s that have older devices yet need to view the entire library.

dtv4251

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2020
For now when a shared library exists, older devices just say “you have to have the newest version of of macOS/iOS to view all photos” but show the personal library without problems.

This message is underneath the summary then
1659502694875.png

krazyleb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Edmonton
Lol it’s not a real risk, I have my library like triple backed up. I have them on Amazon prime, backed up mac photo library and I have raw versions of all files. I’m not that crazy!

Just a pain that my account is messed up. That has never happened on a

For anyone interested, through un deleting items online on beta.iCloud.com from my deleted folder, it triggered my library moving over from shared to personal and completing the deletion. Don’t ask me why it worked. No idea, and it could be something Apple did on their end.

My wife’s photos are still moving back over but they are but I still don’t see them on the web, only seeing them download on her phone. I imagine time will fix that too

Morale of the story might be patience and time. Not too sure but hope my experience helps someone else.

Reactions: dtv4251

dtv4251

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2020
Don’t ask me why it worked. No idea, and it could be something Apple did on their end.

I guess that undeleting unblocked it, as it did for me, except that i deleted the deleted photo completely, not restored it. I don't think Apple has fixed anything in the background here.

Somehow it is logical that if the shared library and the main library are on completely different storages in the Apple data center, the transfer takes some time depending on the ammount of photos.

There is clearly a progress bar missing here that blocks other actions during the transfer.

I'm glad that it now works again for you.

dtv4251

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2020
How is this iOS 16 new shared library different from the iCloud shared album which is available for a long time?

Shared Album is an externally accessible part of your private library to give access to external users. As far as I know, the images are not even available in full resolution.

The Shared Library is a completely independent additional library that can only be used among iCloud family members. You can choose directly when taking a picture, whether the photo should be saved in the private or the shared library. A good solution for families who used to airdrop their family pictures between their devices.

ariusbb

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2013
I would make sure you are trying through an Ipad or desktop. Then go to your shared library through the web portal. If there is a select option in the top right do that and try to select some photos. Then check options at the top and see if there is an option to move. If it does not exist, I would just sit tight until the future updates fix the issue.
I reinstalled iOS 16 on my iPad and deleted the shared library and selected the option to keep the images.
I'm waiting now for syncing - photos have already started appearing again on my iPhone!

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
For those that are using the beta:
  1. Are you able to create albums within the Shared Album?
  2. If I previously airdropped photos to my wife and then I move those same photos to the shared library, it gets removed from my personal library. BUT, will it detect that the photo is a duplicate in her personal library and gets removed from there as well? Or will it remain in both her personal library and shared library as duplicate photos?
  3. If I were to remove her from the shared library, does she have the same option of keeping all photos in the shared library to copy to her personal library?

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
For now when a shared library exists, older devices just say “you have to have the newest version of of macOS/iOS to view all photos” but show the personal library without problems.

This message is underneath the summary then View attachment 2038400
Welp, this throws a wrench into my time machine backup. I have it set to download originals as a physical backup...that means anything in the shared library won't get backed up (or even viewable)

ariusbb

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2013
As an update - after deleting the shared library - my photos are all back to my personal library.
The process took about 1 day to complete.

Reactions: dtv4251

dtv4251

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2020
I got a new problem:

Since I completely restored my iPad (ios15, not from a backup but as completely new device) and manually deleted the images in the iPhone (ios 16) and re-enabled iCloud sync because of this shared library issue, searching for locations no longer works on both the iPhone and the iPad.

For example, if I enter "Berlin", a search result with a pin-icon should appear with all pictures taken in Berlin, but only "Memories" from Berlin are suggested means that somehow the devices are using the geodata.

In order for the location to appear in the title bar of the photo and for me to search for it, I have to upswipe each photo (even new ones) once to the additional info (where you can find EXIF-Data, Map, etc.).

I don't think it's because of the indexing, this should actually already be through, since the person recognition is also already through.

On my MacBook i dont have any issues, means that the library seems ok. Location search works fine.

Does anyone have an idea?

EDIT: Okay it was just a matter of time. Left my iPhone completely untouched with connected charger for the last couple of hours and now the location search works again. :)

Last edited:

bhagemann

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2012
boy... so MANY of these issues we all have with Photos/iCloud end up with the resolution "turns out it was just a matter of time". Doesn't Apple understand that if they gave us ANY kind of progress indicator/activity monitor for this we'd bitch a lot less?? I remember being stuck on face recognition for sooooo long (weeks?) and it finished eventually, but had no idea it was even doing anything, and in addition, the info was 'photos will analyze faces when not active' which means what? don't run? run but put in background and ignore? crazy making!

tvdsm

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2022
Now that you mention it, i did one more thing:

The shared library view in beta.icloud.com contained all my albums from the main library, but empty. I deleted all these empty albums as well, so the Shared Library view was completely empty. I don't know if that was the trigger for the successful deletion, since I did both at the same time (empty recently deleted and delete the albums).

But that's all i had to do, i didn't have to trigger the deletion again. In my case, however, I had only sent an invitation, but my wife has not yet accepted it, because she (obviously wisely) said to leave her alone with my beta junk :D So i was the only "member" of the shared library.

Unfortunately, this deletion also deleted my albums in the main library, but there were only about 10, which can be rebuilt relatively easily and i made a screenshot before.
Do you say that all your personal Folders/Albums were synced to the shared library? That would be good news!
If I understand it well, you can move your personal library Folders and Albums to the shared library. These Folders and Albums will be visible for yourself, but not for other members of the shared library? They will not see the Folder/Album structure? Is that true?

That's really a pitty, as I have around 65.000 photos with many Folders and hundreds of Albums inside it (took me some years). The goal was just to have a shared library with all my Folders/Albums available, so my wife could just add the photos from her iphone to the corresponding Folders/Albums. But then that's not possible? Is that correct?

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
boy... so MANY of these issues we all have with Photos/iCloud end up with the resolution "turns out it was just a matter of time". Doesn't Apple understand that if they gave us ANY kind of progress indicator/activity monitor for this we'd bitch a lot less?? I remember being stuck on face recognition for sooooo long (weeks?) and it finished eventually, but had no idea it was even doing anything, and in addition, the info was 'photos will analyze faces when not active' which means what? don't run? run but put in background and ignore? crazy making!
Likely Apple has no clue as to how long things take in their convoluted user unfriendly iCloud universe.
"It just works" is just a phrase from the distant past now unfortunately.

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.