Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I have an iMac and a MacMini in the same room and i want to use the same wireless mouse and keyboard for both... is it possible?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Sure, there are multi-device wireless keyboards and mice out there. Take a look at some of the Logitech options.

Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Sure, there are multi-device wireless keyboards and mice out there. Take a look at some of the Logitech options.

I've never used the "One Flow" thing. But if it works, you could put your computers side by side, and just use one cursor between the two.

"MULTIPLE COMPUTERS, ONE FLOW​

MX Keys follows your MX Master 3 for Mac from one Mac to another, meaning you can type on multiple devices in one fluid workflow.
Transfer files, documents, and images across computers and Mac and Windows®operating systems1Requires Logitech Options software, available for macOS and Windows.."

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I have an iMac and a MacMini in the same room and i want to use the same wireless mouse and keyboard for both... is it possible?

...although I think a similar feature is coming in MacOS Monterey (but that will need everything running the bleeding edge Mac os/iOs, whereas Synergy runs on pretty much anything, including Windows and Linux).

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

...although I think a similar feature is coming in MacOS Monterey (but that will need everything running the bleeding edge Mac os/iOs, whereas Synergy runs on pretty much anything, including Windows and Linux).
Wow, you just gave me a great idea! I could put my iMac with one external monitor next to my M1 Mac Mini that also runs and external monitor. I could have 4 screens!

• Wow
Reactions: ignatius345

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Apple magic mouse or keyboard can’t be used for what I want to do?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Apple magic mouse or keyboard can’t be used for what I want to do?

Not yet, unless you want to deal with re-pairing them each time you switch devices.

And whether they'll be able to do it in Monterey depends a little on your usage of the imac/mac mini.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What do u mean not on their own? And how do they work with the Synergy software?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I've used Synergy for years to share a mouse and keyboard between a Windows and Mac machine. It is flawless and pretty simple to set up. The model of mouse and keyboard seems to be irrelevant.

You install the same Synergy software on your two computers. You configure Synergy on one to be the "server", and the other to be the "client". There is some tinkering to set relative computer positioning and registering the client's computer name on the server.

The connectivity uses your IP network. I literally code the IP address of the server into the client's software. I believe there is some kind of auto config that I've never bothered with. I did buy the software since, at the time, you needed the pro version to make a secure connection on the network (i.e. TLS support).

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Sounds like a complex set up though.
It's really not that complicated.

What do u mean not on their own? And how do they work with the Synergy software?
You install and run the Synergy software on both machines. On one you choose the "Use this computer's keyboard and mouse" option, on the other choose "Use another computer's mouse and keyboard". They connect over the network. With a Mac-to-mac connection both running the latest version it should all "just work" using computer names - if not it tells you the IP addresses to use.

After that, you just use the keyboard and mouse on the first computer - move the mouse off the edge of the first computer's screen and it appears on the second computer. The keyboard works with whichever computer is showing the mouse. It will also let you copy and paste between machines... One it's set up you add the Synergy app to your computers' login items so it all starts up automatically.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Sounds like a complex set up though.

It's because I made it sound complicated; I shouldn't have used the word "tinker", just apply some settings. I shouldn't have said "IP network", just "network". I shouldn't have mentioned "TLS"; if you have the computers in your own home, security might not be a concern and you can just buy the basic version at $29.

Now that I've retracted all the complexity, I'm happy to hear from Mr. Luggage that Mac-to-Mac is trivial.

Let me mention some concerns about Synergy. The company that makes it is having a hard time delivering the next version. They even had to retract version 2, so I'm still running version 1. I can still download my purchased version 2, but they recommend against using it. The last email I received from them says they're a couple of years out on releasing a new version. But, version 1 works perfectly for me, without a hitch for years. They offered me a refund on version 2, but I didn't take it because I wanted to support the company.

I once had a problem with the software; in the end it was the fault of something completely unrelated. However, I did write support. They responded that they didn't offer support except to their enterprise customers. This was back in 2017. Their website now strongly suggests otherwise; you can enter a ticket, chat with an agent, or join them on Slack or Discord. I've tried none of that. So, this is just a cautionary note.

I would definitely not hesitate buying the software again. They seem to be a very upstanding company. The software has been around for ages in its open sourced version and Symless has been around for years.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Does Synergy require the keyboard and mouse to be wireless, or does it work with wired devices?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Does Synergy require the keyboard and mouse to be wireless, or does it work with wired devices?

They do not need to be wireless. The keyboard and mouse only connects to one of the computers. The other computer's mouse and keyboard input are delivered via the Synergy software running on that computer. No keyboard or mouse needs to be connected to that machine at all, wireless or wired.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
They do not need to be wireless. The keyboard and mouse only connects to one of the computers. The other computer's mouse and keyboard input are delivered via the Synergy software running on that computer. No keyboard needs to be connected to that machine at all, wireless or wired.
Okay, sounds like what I need! I have a MBA and a PC desktop, and I've been physically unplugging the keyboard and mouse when I want to change. However, I am sharing the display - I just toggle the input on the monitor when I want to change, and the MBA is in clamshell mode most of the time. Would Synergy still work? Or would I need to open the MBA to switch the peripherals, then close it up again?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Okay, sounds like what I need! I have a MBA and a PC desktop, and I've been physically unplugging the keyboard and mouse when I want to change. However, I am sharing the display - I just toggle the input on the monitor when I want to change, and the MBA is in clamshell mode most of the time. Would Synergy still work? Or would I need to open the MBA to switch the peripherals, then close it up again?

You'll still need to toggle the input on the monitor. Synergy does not support any way to share the monitor.

What I understand you to be saying is that your Mac's lid is closed and it's plugged in to the same monitor that your window machine is. Technically this is completely fine. But, sharing the monitor in this way would make Synergy a bit confusing for me. Let me explain.

When I set up Synergy I specify whether my Windows machine is to the right or left of my Mac. Let's say I specify that it's to the right. Then, when I move my mouse to the right on the Mac screen and keep going, the mouse shows up on the Windows machine's screen. Similarly, when I move my mouse to the left on the Windows screen and keep going, the mouse shows up on the Mac's screen.

Does it make sense that this could be awkward if you are sharing a monitor? You might be looking at your Windows machine (because you've toggled your monitor to the computer) and not see your mouse. You'd then have to remember that it's probably positioned on your Mac screen and that you should drag the mouse to the right till it appears. As a user, I would be fine with that, but I just wanted you to be aware of that situation.

Another option is to keep your Mac open and not plug it in to your monitor, leaving your monitor dedicated to the Windows machine. Then you can quickly switch control from one computer to the other just by dragging your mouse to one side or the other; you would always be able to see where the mouse is. But, you'd lose a lot of screen real estate when working on your Mac.

And yet another option is to not use Synergy at all. You could use Microsoft's Remote Desktop software to display the Windows machine's screen on your Mac. Your Windows machine wouldn't need a monitor at all. If you have one large monitor and your Mac's screen is small, I would use this approach.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Does it make sense that this could be awkward if you are sharing a monitor? You might be looking at your Windows machine (because you've toggled your monitor to the computer) and not see your mouse. You'd then have to remember that it's probably positioned on your Mac screen and that you should drag the mouse to the right till it appears. As a user, I would be fine with that, but I just wanted you to be aware of that situation.
That sounds fine! My MBA sits on a stand to the left of my Windows machine. So moving the mouse to the left puts it on my Mac, to the right puts it on my PC. I assume by moving the mouse across displays, this also switches the keyboard?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
That sounds fine! My MBA sits on a stand to the left of my Windows machine. So moving the mouse to the left puts it on my Mac, to the right puts it on my PC. I assume by moving the mouse across displays, this also switches the keyboard?

It absolutely does switch the keyboard. Moving the mouse past the edge of the current computer's screen is exactly the event that triggers BOTH the mouse and keyboard into controlling the other computer.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
It absolutely does switch the keyboard. Moving the mouse past the edge of the current computer's screen is exactly the event that triggers BOTH the mouse and keyboard into controlling the other computer.
Okay... although, will it switch if the Windows machine is on the login screen? Like, I'm on the MBA, then need to switch to the PC. I boot the PC, switch the monitor input, then drag the mouse over so I can log into the PC?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Okay... although, will it switch if the Windows machine is on the login screen? Like, I'm on the MBA, then need to switch to the PC. I boot the PC, switch the monitor input, then drag the mouse over so I can log into the PC?

That does work for me. I've always wondered why Microsoft allows that since it seems insecure.

There is a little hiccup at times related to security. I don't know much about this. But, certain events cause Windows to shift gears (security context of the UI?) and that will place the cursor right back on the Mac's screen. No problem; I just slide it back to the Windows machine to continue. (Sometimes you have to give it a few seconds for Synergy to reconnect).

This does happen just after booting up and clicking on the Windows screen to login. It also seems to happen when you get the security prompt when installing new software. I've not seen it happen any other time.

Worth mentioning ... VPN software, if you run it, will likely not interfere with Synergy's functioning. Assuming your machines are on the same LAN subnet and your VPN software ignores local traffic, you'll not have any problem. I run Private Internet Access on both my machines and still connect seamlessly.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
That does work for me. I've always wondered why Microsoft allows that since it seems insecure.

There is a little hiccup at times related to security. I don't know much about this. But, certain events cause Windows to shift gears (security context of the UI?) and that will place the cursor right back on the Mac's screen. No problem; I just slide it back to the Windows machine to continue. (Sometimes you have to give it a few seconds for Synergy to reconnect).

This does happen just after booting up and clicking on the Windows screen to login. It also seems to happen when you get the security prompt when installing new software. I've not seen it happen any other time.

Worth mentioning ... VPN software, if you run it, will likely not interfere with Synergy's functioning. Assuming your machines are on the same LAN subnet and your VPN software ignores local traffic, you'll not have any problem. I run Private Internet Access on both my machines and still connect seamlessly.
Thanks for the info! I guess it HAS to work on a login window/boot up, otherwise... how would you ever log into the machine without physically plugging everything in? I was looking at Synergy's instagram, and they show setups with multiple computers, so it would just be impossible.

I'll give it a go! I think I'll use my MBA as the server, because if I'm at my desk it's always there and connected. It's my PC that is only on sometimes, so that'll be the client.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Thanks for the info! I guess it HAS to work on a login window/boot up, otherwise... how would you ever log into the machine without physically plugging everything in? I was looking at Synergy's instagram, and they show setups with multiple computers, so it would just be impossible.

I'll give it a go! I think I'll use my MBA as the server, because if I'm at my desk it's always there and connected. It's my PC that is only on sometimes, so that'll be the client.

Good luck. And, you'll report back some unresolvable issue and I'll scream "OH NO, I forgot to tell you about that caveat".

From Symless' website

While Synergy Basic and Pro do not have trial versions, if you purchase Synergy and find that it does not meet your requirements, you can ask for a refund via our refund request form.

It will be granted automatically, provided you made your purchase in the last 30 days.

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I'm using MX Keys and MX Master 3 myself. It can support up to three devices which are my iMAC, a windows laptop and a Surface Pro.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I'm using MX Keys and MX Master 3 myself. It can support up to three devices which are my iMAC, a windows laptop and a Surface Pro.

Definitely don't mean to one-up you; I use Logitec stuff and I think it's great.

Synergy can support at least 15 computers. On the server you're presented with a grid where you place each client in relation to each other and the server. There are 15 spots. I've used Synergy with 3 computers without a problem.

Reactions: PhoenixDown
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.