Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GlynH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Hi there,

I have in the past tried many KVM switches across various platforms but was wondering if there might be a 'best or recommended way' of sharing a late 2011 27" LED Cinema display between both a 5,1 and 6,1 Mac Pro?

Looking at what I have here I would need to not only share the Display Port of the K5000 in the 5,1 and Thunderbolt/Display Port of the 6,1 (they are the same connectors right?) but of course the USB of both Mac Pro's to the display so as to utilise whatever USB device is attached to the working computer and extend the ports to the back of the display.

Can I use any of the 6 Thunderbolt ports on the 6,1 to provide video & audio to the display?

I also have both the Apple Wireless Keyboard 2 and Magic Trackpad 2 and if used as designed ie. wirelessly what is to prevent when typing on the 5,1 for example the 6,1 mimicking the keystrokes and trackpad movement?

I also have the wired Apple Extended Keyboard (and can cable the Magic Trackpad 2 to it) but would of course prefer to just use them wirelessly with both computers as long as typing/trackpadding does not operate both computers at the same time!

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.