Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
I'm currently scanning a lot of old negatives of my family to share them with my family. Currently all these files are TIFF, which are stored in one folder per film or event. I need them to be converted to JPEG and and I need them to be uploaded somehow so that I can share them safely with my family.

I'm currently at around 850 photos and I expect this to be just a small part of the archive I'm trying to build.

So, I need a lot of space and I need a way to share it safely. When someone has an idea which should work on multiple platforms.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
There are several online storage sites (well, more than several) where you could store them. And many ways to convert to JPEG. What software are you using? what online storage are you already paying for? 850 JPEGs isn't really that big; you might have that much space available on iCloud for example.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I love the app Photomyne. It offers a great scanner that corrects the coloring on old faded photos so they actually look even better than the originals. The app allows you to save the photos in albums and allows you to set access via album for friends and family. I pay an annual subscription but i feel it’s worth it.

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
There are several online storage sites (well, more than several) where you could store them. And many ways to convert to JPEG. What software are you using? what online storage are you already paying for? 850 JPEGs isn't really that big; you might have that much space available on iCloud for example.

I thought about iCloud but it is not really nice on the Web, my experience. Currently I try Google Photos but I would have to create every Album manually. I scan all negatives with VueScan and I haven't yet to settle on the best way to convert all files from TIFF to JPEG. ImageMagick would be a good choice but maybe others will work too.

As I said, 850 is the current state, after 21 film of a folder of 69 films an 120 films in another folder.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I love the app Photomyne. It offers a great scanner that corrects the coloring on old faded photos so they actually look even better than the originals. The app allows you to save the photos in albums and allows you to set access via album for friends and family. I pay an annual subscription but i feel it’s worth it.

Just to be sure, have you tried to scan negatives with the app? How does the quality stack up compared to a scan with a real scanner done on the negative?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I thought about iCloud but it is not really nice on the Web, my experience. Currently I try Google Photos but I would have to create every Album manually. I scan all negatives with VueScan and I haven't yet to settle on the best way to convert all files from TIFF to JPEG. ImageMagick would be a good choice but maybe others will work too.

As I said, 850 is the current state, after 21 film of a folder of 69 films an 120 films in another folder.

When I used to work in graphics we all swore by Graphic Converter, an older and very popular piece of image manipulation software on the Mac. Should help you with these batches too!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Just to be sure, have you tried to scan negatives with the app? How does the quality stack up compared to a scan with a real scanner done on the negative?
Have not scanned negatives, only photos. I’ll check in the basement to see if I can find any negatives and try to use Photomyne. I’ll let you know either way.

Reactions: ericwn

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
A few years back I took on the task of scanning my late fathers 50+ years of family photos. I lost count after 8000 images. It took over two years to scan spot and add meda data. Luckily he had everything labeled and organized. 60% were slides and each slide was labeled. I chose to post the images on flicker and created an album for each year. I would send a link out when I completed a year. I used a epson V600 for most of the scanning I also have a Canon dedicated film scanner I would use for the others. The spoting (dirt removal) took the longest to do.

Dovan

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2019
India
If you are converting TIFF to JPEG, then the average file size would be around 15 MB.
So, 850 x 15 MB = 12750 MB which is 12.5 GB approx.
You can create a new gmail and use the 15GB free space in the Drive to store and share the photos with family.
If you are ok to reduce the picture quality to a web one then each image would be around 1 MB. So, max 1GB in total. Same Google drive can be used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.