Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Torren61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
NorCal
Hello. I seem to be too dumb to figure this out on my own and I was hoping one or more of you kind folks can help me.

I have an iMac desktop computer and a MacBook Air. Both have Logic Pro X installed. I have projects on the iMac and i want to share them with my MacBook Air so I can work on the project from either computer and then share it back and forth to update the project as I work on it.

I thought "This has got to be so simple because I should be able to just connect my MacBook with my iMac and just export the projects." but I'm having no success.

Am I the only person in the world who needs to do this and, if not, why isn't there a REALLY simple way to do this? Or... is there?

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
No, you are certainly not the only person in the world who needs to do this, and I even need to do it sometimes.

What I always do is, after making sure that all my samples and plugins are installed on the other computer, I'll just plop the project on an external hard drive and open it on the other computer. Plus, it's nice to do because if I save the project on one computer after working on it, I can just continue working on the other computer without having to copy it over again, because it's just on an external drive.

Reactions: Torren61

Torren61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
NorCal
Depends. Do you want to store all your samples on it, or just the projects? I'd say no bigger than 1 TB, but that's entirely dependent on your individual situation.
But, why can't I just connect to my MacBook Air and just copy straight to it? All my plugins are on both computers as well as Logic Pro X.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
But, why can't I just connect to my MacBook Air and just copy straight to it? All my plugins are on both computers as well as Logic Pro X.
Because then you'd have to use Target Disk Mode, and who wants to do that?

Plus, don't you want to not have to copy back and forth?

Reactions: Torren61

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
I’ve successfully used AirDrop and network File Sharing to move logic projects from one Mac to another. But in most cases I prefer the external drive option to avoid making multiple copies back and forth as mentioned before. In that case case I would also make sure to have a backup system that includes the external drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.