Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFreshNYC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Hello all,

I bought an Ipad about a month ago and have been loving it. So I just bought one for my wife as well and she too is loving it.
But I can not figure out how to get the Apps I purchased onto her Ipad.
I don't even mind us sharing the same itunes account if necessary.

Can anyone help or do I need to buy apps like pages again?

Thanks so much.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Both ipads need to be using the same iTunes account.
Then choose what app to sync when the ipad is connect to your computer.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
When you sync your iPad hit the Apps tab at the top of the screen. Then check off the apps you want or don't want on that iPad. Also make sure the sync only checked items option is checked otherwise it will install every app you own, space permitting. You can install the Apps on unlimited # of iPads from the same computer.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
The key is putting both iPads on the same iTunes account. I have my seven-year-old daughter's iPod Touch, my Ipod 20 GB, my iPhone 3GS and my iPad all on the same account just for this reason.

Also if you are using the same Apple account for both of your iPads you can download it again for no charge.

MacFreshNYC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
The key is putting both iPads on the same iTunes account. I have my seven-year-old daughter's iPod Touch, my Ipod 20 GB, my iPhone 3GS and my iPad all on the same account just for this reason.

Also if you are using the same Apple account for both of your iPads you can download it again for no charge.

We are using the same itunes account as well as the same apple account. Perhaps I did something wrong as I did not see a way to get the apps on my Ipad onto hers. It's good to know we can download it again. Is that tricky to figure out?

stephg

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
If you are using the same iTunes account, just go to the app store, and download the app again to whichever iPad you want it on. You will get a message saying you have already purchased the app and asking if you want to download again. Just say yes and it will be downloaded to the iPad.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
We are using the same itunes account as well as the same apple account. Perhaps I did something wrong as I did not see a way to get the apps on my Ipad onto hers. It's good to know we can download it again. Is that tricky to figure out?

You need to sync your ipad to a computer, which should transfer the apps on your ipad to the computer. Then you sync your wife's ipad with that computer, and the apps should get copied from the computer to your wife's ipad.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
You don't need to be using the same computer, you don't need to be using the same iTunes, and you don't need to be using the same iTunes account.

You didn't say if you and your wife use the same computer, so here are three scenarios:

If you're using the same computer, then it's easiest to use the same iTunes and iTunes account. If you plug in her iPad, select it in the devices list. In the right hand pane there is an Apps tab. If you click it, it will show you all the apps in your iTunes Library, and you can choose which ones to sync.

If you are using two different computers and the same iTunes account, just copy the apps over to her machine and drag them onto the iTunes icon (or in iTunes, use File/Add to Library). If you don't know where the apps are on your machine, select one in iTunes and right-click/control-click and choose Show in Finder.

If you are using two different computers, and two different iTunes account, copy the files over as in scenario two, but you'll have to authorize her computer to use your content. The easiest way to do this is to play some iTunes store content that you bought (even free stuff) on her computer - you'll be prompted to authorize her computer to play it. At that point her computer (and iPad) is authorized to run your apps.

A.

Ruby110

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2010
Use "home sharing" and authorize her computer for your account. I think the limit is 5 authorized computers. You have to be on the same network and both computers have to turn on home sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.