Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
Hoping to soon get a new(er) Mac that runs 10.14, When that will use APFS will I still be able to share (read a/o write) files with another (older) Mac that uses HFS+ ?

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
Yes, Mojave can read/write to the older file format.
Thanks!
What about the other way around: can a mac, let's say, on Snow Leopard or El Capitan read and copy files from another Mac on Mojave & APFS? (assuming that writing to it would be impossible)

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
So if I want to continue sharing files between Mac computers I should never update any of them to APFS?
PS: is het possible to run 10.14 and stay on HFS+ ?

If you mean sharing files over the network, that should still work between different Macs regardless of the disk format.

If you mean being able to plug in a APFS formatted USB drive or connecting a Mac in target disk mode, then no. Earlier OSes won't be able to read the APFS formatting.

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
If you mean sharing files over the network, that should still work between different Macs regardless of the disk format.

If you mean being able to plug in a APFS formatted USB drive or connecting a Mac in target disk mode, then no. Earlier OSes won't be able to read the APFS formatting.

I'd like to (continue to) share files from my (still to be purchased) new(er) Mac on 10.14 (and APFS) to my older Macs; for instances my Pictures folder (and subfolders), where read-only sharing to the older Mac(s) would suffice for me.

Edit: what I do at the moment with my current Macs (on 10.11 and 10.6) is selectively opting for 'sharing' certain files and, more commonly, some folders (with their subfolders) in Finder, like:

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 17.56.16.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.