Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
Doing some research myself and just posted this as a reply, but whilst I await a Windows laptop to arrive, have folk tried any of these out and found out which work best/most reliably?

1. The Edge browser supports Drop which I've read good things about - Drop (microsoft.com)
2. Intel released Unison Intel® Unison™ - Seamlessly Link Phones and Devices to Your PC
3. Microsoft released an early preview of Phone Link for iOS on Windows 11 with Windows Insiders. Previewing Phone Link for iPhone users on Windows 11 with Windows Insiders | Windows Insider Blog

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
iMessage isn't really shareable for iPhones and PCs - at least I don't think there is a way to share.

I use OneDrive and being cross platform, anything that's on my PC can be retrieved on my iPhone, and Mac.

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
iMessage isn't really shareable for iPhones and PCs - at least I don't think there is a way to share.
both Unison and Phone link allow sending/receiving of iMessages from your Windows device. I don't believe either (currently) allow historical messages to be viewed.

Trying to get info from people who have/are using them.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Doing some research myself and just posted this as a reply, but whilst I await a Windows laptop to arrive, have folk tried any of these out and found out which work best/most reliably?

1. The Edge browser supports Drop which I've read good things about - Drop (microsoft.com)
2. Intel released Unison Intel® Unison™ - Seamlessly Link Phones and Devices to Your PC
3. Microsoft released an early preview of Phone Link for iOS on Windows 11 with Windows Insiders. Previewing Phone Link for iPhone users on Windows 11 with Windows Insiders | Windows Insider Blog
If you still have a Mac running, you can run Airmessage on it that's forward and receive imessage traffic to/from an android phone. You also run airmessage on the android phone. Luckily on android you can have more than 1 messaging app so you can keep those seperate.

I haven't tried Drop, or unison, but I do use Phone link with my android phone and it works halfway well. It's getting there.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I would like to give Unison a go but appears it's only for specific Evo CPUs. Not even sure its available yet.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I would like to give Unison a go but appears it's only for specific Evo CPUs. Not even sure its available yet.
My current main laptop is an AMD chip, so I know I can't try it. It does look interesting though!

fwiw, I still wont able to test the iphone - Windows 11 insider integration, it still wasn't available to me and I'm on the fastest track.

Reactions: LeeW

engbren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
I tried Intel Unison about a month ago but ended up uninstalling it after a couple of days of use. I found the interface a bit clunky and I wanted more control over the set of notifications that it propagated to Windows as well as the set of data that it synced.

Apr 12, 2023
Intel needs to fire their UI/UX team, or at least train them. I've heard of so many complaints regarding the software that included with the ARC GPUs, and now you mention this.
I am using unison now, it's.......OK. I use 365 for all file share as I have many devices, so I can just access everything. I pay for that and I have 1tb of icloud space but don't use it. I have my iPhone set up to save photos, etc into onedrive. But for messaging, I wish intel would at least keep the message chain going until you close out. It removes the previous message so you only see one at a time. Hell, even when unison was mobile connect it kept a log of messages that you sent and received. I am hoping Microsoft will have a smooth UI with these features when phone link goes public.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.