Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gautis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
Is there an app or an easy way to share familyvideos with other family members, on a Apple TV?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Could we get more details on exactly what you want to do?

iTunes used to be able to do this well if you are referring to within your own home. Also, iCloud Photos.

PLEX might be something to look into if you are talking about multiple homes.

Gautis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
Could we get more details on exactly what you want to do?

iTunes used to be able to do this well if you are referring to within your own home. Also, iCloud Photos.

PLEX might be something to look into if you are talking about multiple homes.

I'd like to share movies I make my self with my family. I'v tried Plex, but didn't get it to work like I would. I'v even tried to use YouTube, but didn't got that one to work either.

My dream is an app like the old iMovie Theater, but at the same time, able to share the movies with my family outside my house. I live alone, så all the family-members live at their own places.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I'v tried Plex, but didn't get it to work like I would.

COuld you go into detail on what you are looking for?

Based off of your post, I would think Plex would be perfect for your situation (I love Plex), but more detail is needed.

What was the issue with Plex? Was it needing a media server?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
There are several options. One is to set up your own server and let your family stream from that. Plex is one of the easier ways to do that. But if the Videos aren't too big, you can also upload them to a cloud provider and let your family play them on the ATV using Infuse (which supports Dropbox, Google Drive, and MS Onedrive), or simply on a computer if they have one. Yet another option is to use private Youtube videos.

Gautis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
There are several options. One is to set up your own server and let your family stream from that. Plex is one of the easier ways to do that. But if the Videos aren't too big, you can also upload them to a cloud provider and let your family play them on the ATV using Infuse (which supports Dropbox, Google Drive, and MS Onedrive), or simply on a computer if they have one. Yet another option is to use private Youtube videos.

In now trying out Infuse and Dropbox..... YouTube (privat) was way to complicated for me. Hehe. Been there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.