Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darrylcn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
Just wondering if it's possible to share or download a specific version of an iOS app. If memory serves I think you can install old versions of apps (I already do this) provided you've downloaded it to your device before with your iTunes account. I'm not sure whether this applies simply to the version, or if it has to be the exact .ipa file, does anyone know? I'm trying to install Twitter 6.77 but I only have older versions in my Mobile Applications folder. I've got 6.77 in an iTunes backup but I'm hoping to avoid trying to extract it if that's even an option.

Does anyone know if I can just download a version I've had before from the internet somewhere? Thanks.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I don’t think you can download those ipa files somewhere else other than App Store cause it contains their Apple ID.
However, technically, you can install an app purchase by someone else and use it normally. The only downside is it won’t update at all unless you enter the account email and password of the owner of that ipa file.
My $.02

darrylcn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
Thanks for that. Thought that might be the case since I so far hadn't found any repository of IPA files online. I still have a backup, I'll investigate how/if I can pull info from that. Thanks for the info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.