Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Just picked up an AVP and bought a separate light seal for my wife.

Unfortunately, with only one user account possible, this is not great…While my wife is able to use it, the eye and hand tracking isn’t as accurate as it is for me, naturally.

This seems like such an easy software add…I wonder why it isn’t the case.

So far, this is the only thing making me consider returning it.

Reactions: mry110

wi1dstar

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012

Unfortunately, with only one user account possible, this is not great…While my wife is able to use it, the eye and hand tracking isn’t as accurate as it is for me, naturally.

Have you considered just putting it in guest mode for her to use? You can chose what apps to allow access to and it will scan her eyes and hands and make them accurate. It will have to do this each time she uses it but it’s at least an option for now.

DrewDowne

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
I have a similar issue and I think I can get around this by buying optical inserts. From what I understand, you'll have to go through the eye and hand tracking setup for each pair of optical inserts. The Vision Pro then automatically changes the tracking calibration each time the lenses are changed.

Reactions: Macaholic868

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017

Agreed and I’ll be shocked if Apple doesn’t address some of this in VisionOS v2.0. Guest mode is fine for friends and extended family members who want to give it a go once or occasionally from time to time but a $3,500 device should be something you can share with a couple of family members without it being a crippled experience for them.

It’s not a deal breaker for me as I’d read the reviews and knew how limited guest mode was before I picked it up but if you didn’t and part of the cost justification was being able to share it with your wife it might be hard to justify given what’s there now.

At the same time I can see why Apple, in the interest of getting the device out the door, might not have focused too much on that portion in v1.0 of the OS. Especially if they see developers as being a large part of the initial target market. Ramping up the app echo system as quickly as possible has to be one of their goals in order to drive future sales not only of the current AVP but of the more affordable versions to come.

Pinterra

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
I wonder if it has something to do with being based on iPadOS, which also doesn't support multiple users... except it does in education environments.

Alternatively, I suppose it could have something to do with how it's fit to your head, except like @jaredlipsitz said, you can get another light seal.

Really have to hope it comes in a v2.0 of the OS.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
I mean, same problem on any other idevice
Not really.

Firstly, can have multiple users on Apple TV. Secondly, it makes far more sense to have multiple users on a nearly $4k device like an AVP vs an iPhone and Watch (which have no need for sharing)

Reactions: musukosan

billnye97

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
Yeah this is sort of my biggest hangup about getting one. I demoed it yesterday at my local Apple Store and they had plenty in stock to purchase. Once I asked about multiple profiles I was kind of put off. Not to say my wife or kid would use it a ton but they really need to have multiple sign ins at least at the price point it is at.

Reactions: dannynjoni

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
Not really.

Firstly, can have multiple users on Apple TV. Secondly, it makes far more sense to have multiple users on a nearly $4k device like an AVP vs an iPhone and Watch (which have no need for sharing)
AVP is much closer in usage pattern to iPhone than ATV.

If you can’t have multiple profiles on an iPad, a device that often frequently to a room in a house and not to a person, there’s no reason to expect them on an AVP.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
AVP is much closer in usage pattern to iPhone than ATV.

If you can’t have multiple profiles on an iPad, a device that often frequently to a room in a house and not to a person, there’s no reason to expect them on an AVP.
The difference is someone can use someone else’s profile on an iPad without any navigation issues etc. This is not true for the AVP where navigation needs to be calibrated for each user.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I’d be surprised if Apple allowed multiple accounts in the future given they spent time and effort making Guest Mode. Everything about VP says Apple wants this to be a personal device, from the buying experience to the ads.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I asked the Apple Store associate about this when I picked up my AVP. He said the amount of data stored for a profile (eye tracking, hand tracking, and so on) is too large to support multiple accounts, which I find hard to believe. Guest Mode is OK to give someone else a taste of the experience, but isn't enough for sharing the device.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I asked the Apple Store associate about this when I picked up my AVP. He said the amount of data stored for a profile (eye tracking, hand tracking, and so on) is too large to support multiple accounts, which I find hard to believe. Guest Mode is OK to give someone else a taste of the experience, but isn't enough for sharing the device.

That sounds like a total and utter pile of poop

Reactions: musukosan

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

You really think a retail clerk is going to know the strategic decisions made at Apple HQ? Any real answers will come from emailing Mike Rockwell, if he answers.

Reactions: Blackstick

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
You really think a retail clerk is going to know the strategic decisions made at Apple HQ? Any real answers will come from emailing Mike Rockwell, if he answers.
I just reported what he said when I asked and noted I didn't believe him, though I've found many Apple Store sales associates are quite knowledgeable. Regardless, the amount of storage allocated to VisionOS and the System in my AVP totals ~24GB. If the profile data are included there, it implies that additional profiles wouldn't be storage-constrained, so the decision not to allow them was based on another consideration.

Reactions: JPack

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Apple only really makes one device multi-user, their computers. The Apple TV is sort of multi-user and that is only recently. The iPhone is single by design of course as is the Apple Watch. And the iPad despite years of people wanting it to be multi-user capable is still only designed for one profile.

Apple wants us to each have our own of whatever device it is. For the AVP, that is a significant shortcoming and disappointment.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Apple only really makes one device multi-user, their computers. The Apple TV is sort of multi-user and that is only recently. The iPhone is single by design of course as is the Apple Watch. And the iPad despite years of people wanting it to be multi-user capable is still only designed for one profile.

Apple wants us to each have our own of whatever device it is. For the AVP, that is a significant shortcoming and disappointment.
I think you're correct about Apple's approach and strategy. But they'll eventually have to provide a multi-user solution better than Guest Mode for some vertical market applications, such as education. It would be similar to Shared iPad in that respect, with the primary difference being that the AVP requires each user to go through hand and eye calibration, so there'd have to be a way to store that somewhere and retrieve it for each user.

However, Shared iPad only works for managed devices, which presumably would also be required for shared AVPs. Unfortunately, that wouldn't easily to translate to situations where two or more friends or family members want to use one AVP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.