Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
Does Shazam not recognise a Song on the Mac ?

I have just downloaded Shazam APP on my Mach Mini and I am playing Music through one of the Music Streaming Sites in the browser. And I have my AirPods Pro connected to the Mac the Airpods I am wearing so when the music is playing and I say Hey Siri Shazam this song. Shazam gets activated but nothing else happens !!

I have tried doing it manually also and still Shazam is not working !!

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Does Shazam come back with something saying "There is no song found", or is it just unresponsive?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Just unresponsive. Doesn't work. Gets triggered but then nothing happens.
The Mac mini has no microphone so that's surely the problem, even if you're using AirPods. If the microphone could pick up the audio coming from the AirPods themselves, they'd be unusable on phone calls.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
What about with the AirPods disconnected?

Even with the Airpods Connected and also disconnected Shazam just doesn't recognise if you give SIRI command on the Airpods. If you manually click on the Shazam APP via the Menu Bar it does work and give you the song name.

So what does that mean ?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I think what people are trying to say is that Shazam needs to operate like our ears to do its thing... that is, "hear" the song playing (which it cannot do with the speakers in AirPods isolated from the AirPods microphone). So the message is to play the song through actual speakers AND plug a Microphone into the Mac mini to do the listening of what is playing.

Through AirPods you have the song playing (the sound of the song) and the "hearing" part (the microphone) completely separated. More simply, your AirPods "ears" are deaf when trying to hear what is playing through their speakers.

The analogy would be playing music on your TV or Home theater speakers, dialing volume down to ZERO (so your own ears can't hear anything) and then expecting the Shazam app to hear the same song at zero volume.

I don't THINK- but don't know for sure- Shazam is programmed to be able to listen in on a "closed" audio experience like when listening through AirPods or headphones. Your experience implies it does not. So give Shazam something to listen to (something your own ears can hear without AirPods) and give the Mini the ears (a microphone) to actually do the listening. That should work.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.