Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattalici

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2003
LA
I GOT IT TOO! YES!

I NEVER get the random crap that happens to other Macs and I always think, maybe I'm not doing something right, but there it was... YOU MUST UPGRADE! I'm in the club... mamma got what you need... come give me a hug...

If the new 12'' PB doesn't have DVI out I am seriously considering slashing my wrists.

Or getting the 15''.

Oh yeah... and Sherlock is DEFINITELY running faster.

I'm ADD to today.

Hey, how many kids with ADD does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Wanna ride bikes?

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Me....Smart...

good one mattalici, I'll go bike riding. :)

Anyway, I got the message too and took screenschots, oh joy!

Here is the message itself:
sherlock_10-3s.jpg

Here is the entire program with the message: http://www.homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Public/sherlock_10-3.jpg

Oooooooooooo-aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh :D

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
Movies

Sherlock is the best way to find out what will be playing in your local movie theater. If it is monday you can look to see what new movies will be playing on friday.

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
Sherlock doesn't actually do anything that can't be done on the website listed at the bottom.

That said, if it would cache the plugins instead of getting them from the net every time, it might be fast enough to use on a regular basis.

ZeppelinArmada

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2003
Mostly here
I use sherlock all the time for finding movies and amusing words in other languages. I wonder if there is any architecture change that makes it necessary for certain plugins to be run under panther or if Apple just wants people to upgrade. Then again, if people are upgrading because of sherlock some thing is wrong. I think personally that Apple should have a plan like Apple care for people like my mom. It would be a very simple plan: Step 1) buy Apple Sitter for around $30,000, Step 2) whenever a new version of the os is available it is installed when ever a brand new line of computers is available they ship you a new one with all of your files already copied to it and their stealth technicians hook it up while you sleep; each machine would have a large red button that when pushed would have the computer dial up a trained professional who would instruct them on how to do things like click and tell you how your son loves because you did not call him because "the screen button is off at the top of the little words". Simple and effective.

Hmmm... that just kinda slipped out ... must be that sticky bun I ate.

bones

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2001
Originally posted by MacBandit
The big advantage is the new versions of Sherlock allow easy creation of plugins for it like the OS9 days. Apparently Watson is a pain to write for.

Exactly the opposite... I'd say Sherlock is the pain to write for, and Watson is the easy one.

Don't spread FUD when you aren't even speaking from personal knowledge.

-B

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by bones
Exactly the opposite... I'd say Sherlock is the pain to write for, and Watson is the easy one.

Don't spread FUD when you aren't even speaking from personal knowledge.

-B

Have you written for 10.2? MacWorld just had an article on Sherlock in 10.2 and said it was the ability to create easy plugins for it that was the primary advantage it had over Watson. Also there appears to be nearly as many 10.2 sherlock plugins as there are OS9.

bcsimac

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
Bolivar, TN
Actually, I am interested to see what Sherlock looks like under Panther. I really don't use it much, but then I don't use search engines much either.

ABassCube

macrumors newbie
The thing is Sherlock 3 is just pathetic compared to Watson. Watson is MUCH faster, and has much better built-in plugins. Sure, there are plenty of 3rd-party plugins for Sherlock, but even with those it doesn't match the functionality of Watson. The problem is, that Sherlock is free and Watson is a rediculous $30. If it were maybe $15 or $20 I'd pay for it in a second, but $30 is just too much for an app that basically give me more convenient access to web services. I can go to the individual sites themselves, and it doesn't take all THAT much longer. I hope that Sherlock in Panther comes much closer to the functionaliy and speed of Watson. Although that would also be unfair to Karelia as that would definitely kill Watson. The only reason Watson has stayed around is because Sherlock sucks so much. I don't know why Apple didn't just make a deal with Karelia about Watson. They didn't have to just steal their idea completely unexpectedly. The CEO of Karelia said in an interview at some point that they had even emailed Apple a couple of months before asking whether they wanted to make a deal about Watson. They got no reply, and a couple of months, the preview of Jaguar with Sherlock 3 came. I feel bad for Karelia and would pay for Watson if it wasn't so damn expensive.

Adam

Adam

micjan2

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2004
Belgium
no channels in the menu

Hello,

Today I used Sherlock for the first time after seeing some of its capacities (translations! Very important when you live in Europe) on the computer of my friend. But, the only icon I see in the buttom menu when I open Sherlock is the sherlock icon itself. No "translation" or "dictionary" nor the rest of the (default?) icons.
Can someone explain me how I can get these channels in my menu?

Thanks on beforehand,

Jan

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: no channels in the menu

Originally posted by micjan2
Hello,

Today I used Sherlock for the first time after seeing some of its capacities (translations! Very important when you live in Europe) on the computer of my friend. But, the only icon I see in the buttom menu when I open Sherlock is the sherlock icon itself. No "translation" or "dictionary" nor the rest of the (default?) icons.
Can someone explain me how I can get these channels in my menu?

Thanks on beforehand,

Jan

Do you have the collections menu on the left? If you do you need to click on channels menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.