Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Looking for games like DOOM, WOLFENSTEIN, QUAKE that run well under OSX on a recent iMac. Grandkids want for when they come to visit. Say that "Mac" games are too goofy and cartoonish. I guess the genre is first person shoot'em'ups, eh? Not a gamer myself. Grandkids think "How about a nice game of chess" is just a movie line.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Reactions: Tucom

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Looking for games like DOOM, WOLFENSTEIN, QUAKE that run well under OSX on a recent iMac. Grandkids want for when they come to visit. Say that "Mac" games are too goofy and cartoonish. I guess the genre is first person shoot'em'ups, eh? Not a gamer myself. Grandkids think "How about a nice game of chess" is just a movie line.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Here is the weird thing: if you’re only looking for those games that you listed, then you’re going to be out of luck on macOS. On iOS, the story is a little better, as we have Doom and Doom 2 available from the App Store, and both have controller support built in.

So far, no Quake games on iOS, either, nor are any Wolfenstein games.

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
The number of mainstream big budget titles ported to Mac has dropped sharply in recent years. All versions of Doom, Quake and Wolfenstein prior to about 2007 had Mac releases within a year.

Best bet would be to search Steam, search for the 'fps" (first person shooter) tag and filter to Mac compatible.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would suggest loading windows on your iMac (along side macOS X) and then you can get any of those games and have your grandkids play to your hearts content.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Don't load Windows, check out Nexuiz or Xonotic - identical to what you're asking and even run on a modified Quake III Engine, completely and natively compiled for Mojave and older, not sure about Catalina. Should work though.

Best part: They're free.

Also SkillWarz is a good one, fun CoD+Battlefield clone that runs on Unity Engine; it'll run great and natively just fine. Also free.

BarbaricCo

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
This could be a perfect letter to Tim Cook.

Of course it would be best to spend days with grandkids on some playgrounds or outdoor activities but to spare yourself embarrassment if it's a rainy day install bootcamp Windows and then kids will praise Granpa new Mac ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.