Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That $20 per hour is for fast food workers only. Restaurant workers in real restaurants do not get that. A server in California gets $12-13/hour but the federal minimum wage for servers is still $2.13/hour and a few states still use that.
Texas uses that $2 per hour. I realize if you are a server in a restaurant handling 4-6 tables, you might actually be making $40-60 per 1-2 hours, but I bristle at the idea that the employer counts tips as wages.

• Wow
Reactions: bousozoku

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Years ago I remember talking with one of the guys who worked in a camera shop that I used to frequent, and this was when online shopping was starting to really take off. People would come into the store, spend some time looking and handling various cameras and lenses, asking questions, and then walk out without buying anything.

We had an excellent camera shop with 2 separate stores across the street from each other: 1 for consumers, 1 for professionals. Business was declining 10% a year forcing them to close.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
It is really too bad that people do this shamelessly. Enter a business with the sole purpose of touching everything and tying up sales peoples time and expertise when they have zero intention of purchasing there but will run home to save a couple of $$. It should be considered theft of knowledge and service, but it isn't and won't.

Yeah it's one thing to do this at Best Buy, but to do it to a small business is bad.

Reactions: Clix Pix

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Texas uses that $2 per hour. I realize if you are a server in a restaurant handling 4-6 tables, you might actually be making $40-60 per 1-2 hours, but I bristle at the idea that the employer counts tips as wages.
Here, there are tip jars for businesses where they're just doing their jobs. I will tip servers doing a good job because they're not getting enough, but I will not tip people who are already making plenty for the limited work they do. I've worked in fast food, restaurants, and retail. I know to give my best at a minimum wage job. I'm doing it again.

Sadly, most parents don't teach their kids early. To me, if you don't instill the sense of accomplishment, you'll end up with participation medals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.