Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aileeng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2017
I have to make a short film for a class project and I have an idea in mind I just don't know how to set up my story well so it can for sure have a beginning,middle and end. Can anyone help me piece it together? My ideas are a little scattered for this project. I attached an image of what I got ideas from different places.
image.jpg

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
You know when the first motion pictures were produced and presented they were not narrative. The first exhibitions were gatherings in cafes where people watched sceneics (clips of real life places near and far) and then discuss what they'd seen. Kind of a proto social network. The idea of telling stories with motion pictures took years to catch on.

Might be interesting to do some research and compare behavior and reaction between the first generation of that type of media to current trends. I find it super interesting that, no matter what the format, whenever a new form of media emerges the first thing anyone wants to do with it is capture and share the everyday world around them. How did people feel about looking at the world through a lens at the invention of photography, cinema, radio, television, etc. compared to now?

Just a interesting direction you could go with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aileeng

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
To play off this a little: How different generations got their news (actual and social/gossip) when they were teenagers, and how they get it now. If you have ready access to a multiple generations (family, class, neighborhood) that may work.

How long is this thing supposed to be?

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
dc
It's never a bad idea to start sketching some storyboards so you can start to see your story visually. Once the ball is rolling chances are you will find your middle and ending. better to do it before you start shooting.

edk999

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2018
I know it's a bit late now.... but for your future film ideas... I found that it was easier for me to get inspiration by watching some other short films on Short Central, they have a pretty good selection of student films that you can find here - https://www.shortcentral.tv/category/student-films

Hope you did well on your project!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.