Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
I admit I have not been following very close as I don't need to buy a new Apple device any time soon, but wow, the shortage is getting bad.

My local retailer, Micro Center, usually has almost all models of MBP in stock. This week, they are down to one model, the 13", only two on hand, and one is an open box.

As an Apple shareholder I am really worried how this is going to affect their price when the quarterly reports are made.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I admit I have not been following very close as I don't need to buy a new Apple device any time soon, but wow, the shortage is getting bad.

My local retailer, Micro Center, usually has almost all models of MBP in stock. This week, they are down to one model, the 13", only two on hand, and one is an open box.

As an Apple shareholder I am really worried how this is going to affect their price when the quarterly reports are made.
Price won't be affected, but earnings sure will. Also this shortage mess is due to lockdowns in China and Apple is taking steps to move their manufacturing out of there; something which should have happened long ago.

chikorita157

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2019
Germantown, MD
It's not too surprising since China aren't giving up Zero Covid anytime soon despite Omicron being more transmissible, although Shanghai seems to be reopening. Even so, it will take a while for stock to become available again, especially what happened at the Macbook Pro factory and the backlog. That is probably why stores are running out of stock. That's why I decided to pick up a base model M1 MacBook Pro 16 from Costco for my sister since she graduated with her Phd and probably needed a new laptop since hers is from 2014.

This is probably why I decided to upgrade most of my tech since late 2021 to now. The Studio Display (Glass/VESA mount) took a little over two months (ordered late March) to get to me and I just got it today. You can't even get one until sometime in August, which is ridiculous.

It's a great display, but I don't think I will be doing any more tech upgrades. I might hang on my Apple Watch 4 for another year and replace the battery as the 8 will have poor availability maybe. If you don't need to upgrade right now, maybe wait until next year.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
It's a great display, but I don't think I will be doing any more tech upgrades. I might hang on my Apple Watch 4 for another year and replace the battery as the 8 will have poor availability maybe. If you don't need to upgrade right now, maybe wait until next year.
I'm on the same boat regarding my S4. However, in theory that should have been resolved given the Apple Watch is usually updated along the iPhone.

chikorita157

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2019
Germantown, MD
I'm on the same boat regarding my S4. However, in theory that should have been resolved given the Apple Watch is usually updated along the iPhone.
Yes, it usually does, but given the chip shortages and the lockdowns, I can expect shipping delays when this comes out. The Series 7 had delays when it launched, but I expect this to be even worse given the issues Apple already facing now.

Not to mention, all 16” Macbook Pro models are unavailable at Costco and only the base 14” is available.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Yes, it usually does, but given the chip shortages and the lockdowns, I can expect shipping delays when this comes out. The Series 7 had delays when it launched, but I expect this to be even worse given the issues Apple already facing now.

Not to mention, all 16” Macbook Pro models are unavailable at Costco and only the base 14” is available.
Well, reports right now are manufacturing oriented and the next iPhone is delayed. But not one peep on the Watch. perhaps the manufacturing site is outside the lockdown areas?

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Wonder what if any effect this will have on the new iPhones in September?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Wonder what if any effect this will have on the new iPhones in September?
According to a recent news article here on MR, 1 of the 4 models is delayed due to testing validation process being delayed due to lockdowns.

Also, production has not started and risks pushing the iPhone into October release.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Given AAPL has extremely broad institutional ownership, is a core constituent of both US and global market indexes, is closely tracked by both sell-side and buy-side analysts, and that the product supply shortage is widely known, I don't think AAPL's share price will be affected much. Surprises are what create most big sudden moves.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

Supply chain issues aren't the only things to worry about. Recession predictions abound, unknown new Covid variants, the effects of the war in Ukraine on the global economy, etc. There are too many things going on right now which can could stock prices, not just Apples'. Supply chain worries are the last things I would worry about, as they are fixable and their affect eventually will disappear assuming nothing worse happens.

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I had put a 14"MBP 16GB, 1TB on my cart at best buy.com on Friday and hesitated. By the time I decided to go through with it about 30 minutes later, someone already got it.

I'm trying to get something to replace my 8 month old MacBook Air with 512GB, 8GB because it can't handle all the tabs I keep open in Safari.

I have a 2021 16" MBP 16GB, 1TB that never has problems with Safari tabs being open so I know it's the 8GB giving me the problems. I bought that in October when there were no shortages.

• Sad
Reactions: chikorita157
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.