Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Hey all! Is there a shortcut where I take a photo and it prompts me to ask what album to put it in? For example, I take a photo and I want it to go into an album named Apple? Or I'm on vacation an I want certain photos going into an album named Vacation? I don't like clogging up my recents photos or going into the photo app and selecting what photos go where all the time.

The preferred shortcut I think I am looking for is this... Open Camera app, take photo or video and have it promt me to ask what album to put the photo in.

I did find a shortcut on this forum where it finds all photos from a certain date and saves them to a specific album. While that is ok, it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help!

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
With every option I can think of that takes a photo and automatically prompts for a target album (before or after), you lose the camera app's controls.

The following is the closest thing to your question I came up with (currently for photos only):

If you have an iPhone 15 Pro with Action Button, you could program it to execute the following Shortcut and manually press the button after you have taken a photo:
SaveLastPhoto.png

I'd integrate it into this solution:

Or a different approach, suitable for all iPhone models:
Create an additional "software button" that is only visible in the 'Camera.app' and executes the above Shortcut when tapping it.

AssistiveTouchButton.jpg

In 'Shortcuts.app' create two automations:

When:Automation > Create Personal Automation > App > Camera > 'Is Opened'
Do: Set > Turn AssistiveTouch 'On'
Disable Ask Before Running
and
When:Automation > Create Personal Automation > App > Camera > 'Is Closed'
Do: Set > Turn AssistiveTouch 'Off'

Then link the Shortcut from above ('MovePhoto') to tapping the AssistiveTouch button once:
Settings > Accessibility > Touch > AssistiveTouch > Single-Tap > 'MovePhoto'

Now every time you open the 'Camera.app' an additional icon appears that you can move around and tap once to get a prompt where to save the last photo.

Last edited:
Reactions: IngoX

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
With every option I can think of that takes a photo and automatically prompts for a target album (before or after), you lose the camera app's controls.
This is the nearest thing I came up with (currently for photos only):

If you have an iPhone 15 with Action Button, you could program it to execute the following Shortcut and manually press the button after you have taken a photo:
View attachment 2352752
I'd integrate it into this solution:

Or a different approach, suitable for all iPhone models:
Create an additional "software button" that is only visible in the 'Camera.app' and executes the above Shortcut when tapping it.

View attachment 2352765

In 'Shortcuts.app' create two automations:

When:Automation > Create Personal Automation > App > Camera > 'Is Opened'
Do: Set > Turn AssistiveTouch 'On'
and
When:Automation > Create Personal Automation > App > Camera > 'Is Closed'
Do: Set > Turn AssistiveTouch 'Off'

Then link the Shortcut from above ('MovePhoto') to tapping the AssistiveTouch button once:
Settings > Accessibility > Touch > AssistiveTouch > Single-Tap > 'MovePhoto'

Now every time you open the 'Camera.app' an additional icon appears that you can move around and tap once to get a prompt where to save the last photo.
Thank you so much for the detail explanation. I’ll give it a shot and post back how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.