Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Until now I used the famous shortcut Option + Command +
eject-button-icon.png
to put my Mac to sleep. But the
eject-button-icon.png
-button was replaced with a Touch ID key on the newer keyboards (it's an Apple Magic Keyboard, the big one with the number pad).

So how do you do it now? Kind of annoying going into the menu each time. Apparently I could use the power button of the Mac (2023 Mac mini here).

Does anyone have another shortcut?

Reactions: p0mme

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
They are in the Finder menu, so choose Finder as the app to add a shortcut for.

Awesome, thanks!

Kind of surprised Apple didn't think of this. But I guess most people are using laptops these days and using shortcuts might also have become something antique I believe 😅

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I don't have a keyboard with touch ID...
What happens if your hold the Control key, then press touch ID button?
Do you get a shutdown menu? Press enter to shutdown, or you can press S while the shutdown menu is showing to choose Sleep.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I believe you can just press Touch ID to lock and Esc to sleep

True, but I don't want to lock it.

I don't have a keyboard with touch ID...
What happens if your hold the Control key, then press touch ID button?
Do you get a shutdown menu? Press enter to shutdown, or you can press S while the shutdown menu is showing to choose Sleep.

The same as if you'd press only the Touch ID key (it locks the Mac and brings you to the login screen).

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Is it possible to sleep without locking? I know there's a toggle to prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off on AC power.

You can shut the display off with Hot Corners if that's helpful at all.

Yes of course, when I put it to sleep via the Apple menu, it doesn't lock it in my case. Because I set it up that way. You can chose the duration after which it asks you the password/Touch ID (or if it asks you at all).

Reactions: 3166792

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Did you ever find a real solution to this?

They are in the Finder menu, so choose Finder as the app to add a shortcut for.
But that‘s not true, the Sleep command is found in the Apple menu, which is accessible from all apps. And it does work in other apps, but not when set to „All Applications“. If you have to switch to the Finder first, it‘s still impossible to use blindly, defeating the purpose (at least in my case).

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Maybe you can make this simple?
Press the power button, then release when the shutdown menu screen pops up (should be, at most, 2 seconds.
Don't hold power longer than that, as it will shut off completely, and that's probably not what you want... )
Press "S" when you see the shutdown menu, which should immediately sleep your mini.
(I might be totally off on this, as I don't have an "M" mini, only a 2018, so the power button might not do that on a newer mini -- but worth trying, I think.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Did you set it to work only in the Finder app? I‘m trying to set it up with „all applications“, but it doesn‘t seem to work.

- Select "All applications"
- Find the exact name of the feature under the Apple logo in the menu bar (I think in English it will be "Sleep" or something like that)
- Enter it there + add a shortcut

You are basically adding a shortcut for a specific menu item with a precise name!

Maybe you can make this simple?
Press the power button, then release when the shutdown menu screen pops up (should be, at most, 2 seconds.
Don't hold power longer than that, as it will shut off completely, and that's probably not what you want... )
Press "S" when you see the shutdown menu, which should immediately sleep your mini.
(I might be totally off on this, as I don't have an "M" mini, only a 2018, so the power button might not do that on a newer mini -- but worth trying, I think.

That’s too long tbh! It’s fine the way I have it now, can’t think of anything shorter except if pressing the power button would do it with a short tap, like it used to be years ago I believe.

But right now this will just lock it and keep the display on. I however wish to not lock it, but turn off the display (and put the Mac to sleep).

Perhaps someone knows if there’s an easy (macOS-native) way to set this up for the power button?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
So, you don't get the shutdown menu when you press power button (hold for less than 2 seconds), and release?
And, it simply locks the screen?
That's a different response from my intel mini.
Is there another way to bring up the shutdown window from your keyboard?
That's only 2 strokes to full sleep then: shutdown menu, then press S.
No, not just one key press, but not sure if I could say "That's too long tbh!"

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
AFAIK, there‘s no (preconfigured) way to invoke the shutdown menu with the Touch ID keyboard.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
So, you don't get the shutdown menu when you press power button (hold for less than 2 seconds), and release?
And, it simply locks the screen?
That's a different response from my intel mini.
Is there another way to bring up the shutdown window from your keyboard?
That's only 2 strokes to full sleep then: shutdown menu, then press S.
No, not just one key press, but not sure if I could say "That's too long tbh!"

Exactly, it locks the screen but the screen stays on! I can't find a menu option to bring the shutdown window. I know it used to be possible on much older OSs. But the entire menu seems to be missing on Ventura.

Maybe there's also no use to have the shutdown window. It's just one extra step that's realistically never needed, is it?

And yes that would be too long for me btw - if there's no reason for it to be longer, it shall not be. These kinds of things accumulate. One thing that takes a second more, then another … not just talking about computers here. It really accumulates and our lives are short. My computer is just the means for higher purposes. Do you really want to spend your precious time on earth browsing shutdown windows? Think about it … 😛

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
- Select "All applications"
- Find the exact name of the feature under the Apple logo in the menu bar (I think in English it will be "Sleep" or something like that)
- Enter it there + add a shortcut

You are basically adding a shortcut for a specific menu item with a precise name!
I did that, but it didn't work when using "All applications", only when using single specific applications. But I found help in another thread:
It started working when I enabled "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys". Strangely enough, it continued to work after disabling this setting again after having set the shortcut.
Do you have this enabled?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.