Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Until yesterday, I didn't realize that shortcuts on MacOS could run Terminal commands. I have still been using Automator actions for that stuff.

I feel like embedding my shell scripts into shortcuts is cheating a little bit, but damn am I loving this!

Even better, these Terminal shortcuts can be stored in the menubar, and include AppleScript/JAX support, too.

Right now, I'm using this to rsync files between servers, as well as execute commands over SSH to remote servers. Two clicks, no typing or Terminal shells. Making my life so easy.

I mostly shrugged off shortcuts when it was demoed, but I think I'm finally a fan of Shortcuts!

Was Terminal zsh support and AppleScript support there from the beginning? I didn't think it was, but if it was I am an idiot for not moving from Automator sooner!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Been there for a while, maybe since day one, but can’t say for sure when. I started to use this when some of my login scripts would not run at login (Ventura giving permission errors).

Moved all my Automators to Shortcuts. Left with one seasonal Applescript (parsing MLB schedule and adding Calendar events for them) that could be moved to a shell script and or Shortcuts (Shortcuts is already doing the Calendar part).

Reactions: AF_APPLETALK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.