Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sonja Maria

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
So a while back, something happened to my Macbook and I can no longer change volume or screen brightness with F1, F2 or F10-F12.
As I was wiping my keyboard just now, I saw the volume change icon show up, so there must be some key combo that changes the volume without the keys listed.

Thanks!

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
In System Preferences you should find an option for function key presses to be recognised without also requiring a press on the Fn key. Words to that effect.

Sonja Maria

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
In System Preferences you should find an option for function key presses to be recognised without also requiring a press on the Fn key. Words to that effect.
um no, that's not my problem, my problem is that the key is broken. trust me that is the first thing i tried and i couldn't fix this issue in the system preferences.

Reactions: grahamperrin

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
When I've had similar problems in the past I used this utility, Spark to create custom keystrokes for the volume.
I used alt+left arrow to decrease and alt+right arrow to increase.
Plus as a last resort one can use the Volume slider in the Sound preference pane, put the Volume icon up into the menubar and it works pretty well.

Screenshot 2016-09-07 at 9.04. PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: grahamperrin

Sonja Maria

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
When I've had similar problems in the past I used this utility, Spark to create custom keystrokes for the volume.
I used alt+left arrow to decrease and alt+right arrow to increase.
Plus as a last resort one can use the Volume slider in the Sound preference pane, put the Volume icon up into the menubar and it works pretty well.

View attachment 649031

the application doesn't work on my computer for some reason...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.