Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
Hi,

Today I received my new Homepod, and so far so great! Ever since it was released I was in two minds about purchasing one. I was using a Google Home mini and while Google Assistant has some extra features that SIRI doesn't, I simply don't have a need for those, other than a few things I'm hoping Shortcuts might help with.

I was wondering if anyone here is aware of Shortcuts that can run on the Homepod like a morning routine? One were I say something like "Good Morning" (or whatever) and Siri turns on all my Homekit devices then gives me the weather and plays the latest news headlines from my favourite news sources?

I'm a bit of a noob to shortcuts and I'm not familiar with how to create them in the Shortcuts App.

Any suggestions, like where to find already created examples, would be very welcomed and appreciated.

yass31

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2017
FR
What you want to do it totally possible!

For your HomeKit devices you have to create a scene in the home app, one which turns on the devices you choose. And then, add it to the shortcut among the other tasks like the weather etc…

As your iPhone and HomePod are on the same Apple ID, every shortcut you create on the first will be available on the latter if you configure a Siri command. To do that you'll have to go in the shortcut settings.

You can find examples of shortcuts here :
https://sharecuts.app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.