Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jarrodbcall

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Hey all! The more I have thought about Siri shortcuts the more interesting it seemed. I have played around with the workflow app a bit, but have struggled to come up with use cases that Siri will actually be able to do.

For example:
I tend to read on my phone or iPad at night, so I usually dim the screen, turn on the zoom low light filter to reduce the brightness even more, start do not disturb (or turn on airplane mode). I would love to create a shortcut for this, but it appears Siri can’t start accessibility features, nor start do not disturb.

Do you think Siri will gain any additional features to control the phone over time? The system controls don’t seem to
Have changed much over the last few years.

What use cases have you come up with?

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Hey all! The more I have thought about Siri shortcuts the more interesting it seemed. I have played around with the workflow app a bit, but have struggled to come up with use cases that Siri will actually be able to do.

For example:
I tend to read on my phone or iPad at night, so I usually dim the screen, turn on the zoom low light filter to reduce the brightness even more, start do not disturb (or turn on airplane mode). I would love to create a shortcut for this, but it appears Siri can’t start accessibility features, nor start do not disturb.

Do you think Siri will gain any additional features to control the phone over time? The system controls don’t seem to
Have changed much over the last few years.

What use cases have you come up with?
Siri can toggle DND.

For me personally, when I get to the gym, launch my Spotify and start a workout

Jarrodbcall

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Siri can toggle DND.

For me personally, when I get to the gym, launch my Spotify and start a workout
Oh, great! I didn’t see it as an option in workflow, so hopefully that means it will be in shortcuts then! The accessibility doesn’t appear to be in either, but maybe I will be surprised :).

That’s a great idea—do you use a third party workout app?

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Oh, great! I didn’t see it as an option in workflow, so hopefully that means it will be in shortcuts then! The accessibility doesn’t appear to be in either, but maybe I will be surprised :).

That’s a great idea—do you use a third party workout app?
Ah no this is with the new Siri in iOS 12, it lets you DND. I’m very sure that Shortcuts will allow that. You can already lower the brightness from Siri so you would be able to setup a custom command to turn on DND and dim the display completely. Not too sure about accessibility sorry!

And as for the workouts stuff, I have an Apple Watch Series 3 so I just use the built in Workouts app and I’m hoping I’ll be able to launch a workout automatically with Shortcuts

Reactions: Jarrodbcall
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.