Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Does anyone know anywhere that sells milanese loop straps that are shorter than the Apple ones? Ideally in the UK but if I have to source one elsewhere then I would.

I know these things are supposed to be one size fits all and that's fine for my nylon sports loops but experimenting with my Apple milanese loops a while ago I discovered that it isn't as simple there because of the magnet. Apple does warn that the magnet can affect the compass but in practice I've found that it depends on the size of the wearer's wrists. If you are lucky enough to have a medium sized wrist so that the magnet is sitting directly below the bottom of the watch then the magnetic distortions are uniform and it doesn't seem to affect the compass or the blue direction cone that shows your orientation in maps. If however you have small wrists like me so the magnet is sitting right up towards the top of the watch that does mess things up hence my desire to find a band that moves the clasp point on my wrist at least somewhat towards the centre of the band when it is being worn.

Alternatively, has anyone seen any how-to videos or web sites where someone has successfully shortened a milanese band themselves? With the complex chain structure that looks like a pretty daunting task to me but maybe some braver and more inventive person than me has managed it.

Reactions: seajewel and LHP

LHP

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2023
I have the same issue. I have a Series 4 watch and have been wearing it exclusively with the Milanese loop band for everything I do. At the time, Apple offered two sizes of bands and mine is the smaller one. The magnet secures on the underside of my wrist, not quite touching the watch and not visible from the topside. However, I just upgraded to the new 45mm and the band only comes in one size. The magnet closure has to come all the way back to the watch itself, is visible from the topside, and isn’t quite tight enough. SO SAD! And I can’t find an after-market one either. HELP?!

Reactions: seajewel

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Ugh. just had this issue myself, got a genuine Milanese loop and the edge butts up against the watch itself. So disappointing that Apple does not offer different lengths.

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
Maybe find a jeweler to cut the band and reattach it? As I recall the end of the strap was glued on. Shouldn't be hard for a skilled jeweler. I think....

Reactions: JulianL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.