Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
has anyone heard anything more about shortecks and the possibility of them for imacs??????
maybe,maybe not.. there is no true answer,for now

Scab Cake

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2001
Shortnecks are the thin CRT monitors that IBM developed over in Ireland (methinks) a couple of months ago. Apparently, they're between 1 and 2 cm thin and they're supposed to look better than the CRTs we have right now. Unfortunately, from what I remember, they cost more to manufacture, but should still cost around the same ballpark figure to buy one.

I could be talking outta my arse though...

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
oh...

Thanks... I read about those a while ago. I just didn't know that they were being called "shortnecks" Cool idea but they I think they still use more power than LCD's and they still give off the same radiation. I thik I well stick to my LCD for a while

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
actually...

I've heard the term "shortneck" used to refer to any CRT with a shorter neck than usual. The IBM screens should be called "neckless", because they actually don't have one. And yeah, they'll still only fix one CRT problem: size. Radiation, power, and eye strain still remain. But at least they'll be cheaper. I think that Apple will probably just wait till it's profitable to use an LCD. Remember, they are trying to go for an all-LCD lineup. Besides, from what Jobs has said, I'd be willing to bet they've already got them developed (or close to it) and putting one of those in would be a major design change, further pushing back the release date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.