Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should Apple use frosted glass and unpolished stainless steel in a future iPhone?

• Frosted glass, but give me glossy stainless steel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iRutherford

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
Frosted glass provides all the benefits of normal glass, except gloss. This means that it is more resistant to scratches and does not collect fingerprints and smudges. Here's what it looks like (Sony Xperia Z5):

sony-xperia-z5-back-camera-1500x1000.jpg

sony-xperia-z5-dual-sim-en-verde-de-32gb.jpg

xperia-z5-z5-compact-rear.jpg

One disadvantage is that the colors look a little dull, but I'm willing to take that compromise if it means my phone won't look like dog crap in three months.

On the other hand, unpolished stainless steel is one that was used in the frames of the iPhone 4 and 4S. It looks more like anodized aluminum, unlike the ones used in iPhone X/XS/XS Max where it's glossy as hell and can peel off and accumulate microscratches over time.

apple-iphone-4s-side-view.jpg

225931ispim66z66iawdwb.jpg

What do you think?

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I’d prefer no glass on the back and an phone made out of an actual stylish durable material so we don’t need to use cases anymore.

Reactions: Shirasaki

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I’d prefer no glass on the back and an phone made out of an actual stylish durable material so we don’t need to use cases anymore.
So plastic... and then people would complain about how cheap the phones feel.

iRutherford

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
Frosted glass scratch easily. Look at pixel 3.

That's just Google's build quality, I guess. It's never been a problem in Sony phones.

Edit: I researched it and it looks like you can use a wet cloth to wipe the "scratches" away, as they aren't really scratches. They are "dirt" from the keys/coins that is sticking in between the textures of the frosted glass.

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
That's just Google's build quality, I guess. It's never been a problem in Sony phones.

Edit: I researched it and it looks like you can use a wet cloth to wipe the "scratches" away, as they aren't really scratches. They are "dirt" from the keys/coins that is sticking in between the textures of the frosted glass.

Research some more. You’ll see not all the scratches can be cleaned like that. Also who gets down to cleaning their smartphones with wet clothes and detergent?!

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Yeah, let’s go with that then.

Not a gloss fan. Being a case user though means I can cover it up anyway.

I like a sandstone finish - anti-smudge & grippy. Function over form.

rudyrov

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018
Prague, Czech Republic

Imagine the s**tstorm lol - "I paid $1300 for an iPhone and I have to constantly clean it with wet cloth or else it looks scratched".

iRutherford

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
Imagine the s**tstorm lol - "I paid $1300 for an iPhone and I have to constantly clean it with wet cloth or else it looks scratched".

It only happens when it's "scratched" by sharp materials with pressure. I'd rather have that than be, "Hey look, I paid for a $1,300 iPhone that looks like dog poop after 3 months of use and lots of care. Scratches everywhere!"

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Frosted glass provides all the benefits of normal glass, except gloss. This means that it is more resistant to scratches and does not collect fingerprints and smudges. Here's what it looks like (Sony Xperia Z5):

sony-xperia-z5-back-camera-1500x1000.jpg

sony-xperia-z5-dual-sim-en-verde-de-32gb.jpg

xperia-z5-z5-compact-rear.jpg

One disadvantage is that the colors look a little dull, but I'm willing to take that compromise if it means my phone won't look like dog crap in three months.

On the other hand, unpolished stainless steel is one that was used in the frames of the iPhone 4 and 4S. It looks more like anodized aluminum, unlike the ones used in iPhone X/XS/XS Max where it's glossy as hell and can peel off and accumulate microscratches over time.

apple-iphone-4s-side-view.jpg

225931ispim66z66iawdwb.jpg

What do you think?

I don’t think this is necessary. I mean, most iPhones are in cases anyways. And as for smdyevs on the back glass, who see’s the back of the glass anyways? I use my iPhone without a case and I have zero scratches on the back, why? Because I use caution with my iPhone and don’t put in my pocket with keys/coins.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteS1963

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
my X looked brand new after a year. the silver version and you can polish the band. Never used a case. I got the same color for my max as I didnt like the space gray I had much so returned it for silver again.
Why does your phone look bad after 3 months?

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
So plastic... and then people would complain about how cheap the phones feel.

Maybe make the phone out of plastic and then cover it in a thin layer of easily removable/replaceable glass. Then, if you drop your phone and break the glass it’s easy to fix - problem solved. Many people cover their premium glass and metal phones in a case made of cheap plastic anyway.

No, I’m not being serious :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.