Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
next wearable thing industry will adopt (when technology allows it a decent user experience), will be glasses, and eventually contact lenses, AI assistants will be 24h listening and detecting key words, showing you relevant info in the screens, making calculations etc... that service will lay 100% on powerful search engines.

Android has a much better integration of its hardware with the Google search engine as i.e. in Android, when a unknown telephone number calls you, it finds the number in Google Maps and shows the name in your screen. This little example now will be huge tomorrow.

There will be a day, not far from here, when hardware will be almost just a service, so thin or small..., though quite far from that day, we can see how people (at least outside USA) which has been a iOS user since 10 years ago, is swapping to Android because they can change hardware in a year basis spending half the money, and hardware advantages between one and other, though important to me and to many people, are bit by bit losing distance.

Maybe is too soon for this kind of dream, but Google.com is 20 years old now, so it looks like this take some time to do and improve and patents are getting filled.

Google's experience on the search engine market is giving them a very powerful and advanced tools to organize info, images and videos.

Just wondering...

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I really don't like the idea of sacrificing privacy for convenience, and "24hr listening devices" sound like exactly that. Not surprised to hear Google being the ones behind this kind of thing.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
I'm agree, I don`t understand why people has devices as Eco in their living room, but thing is many of my friends already has, and it seems more and more are into this, so I guess my POV (and yours) is going to be a minority.
When listening 24 hours brings an advantage over your privacy concern, I'm afraid we all will be in it.
I know many people before touch ID whom thought code was a hassle and their phone was unlocked, Google and many free services lives from this human peculiarity.

Our web browser is the 1.0 version of this 24h listening device since it is recording all your moves on internet, every click or search you do, every post you upload, every like you give, all this is recorded in order to offer you better adds and so more things enterprises are doing with our data, and people is 2h a day using internet from 16h basis (awake daily hours).

Take this example, Android face detection is far less secure than Apple's, but people still using it, because, mainly, is cheaper (of course there are people who prefer Android over iOS for other reasons, but please, we are always talking of the ~80%, not minorities). Or Google Mail, which it is avowed by Google that they scan emails in order to offer you a better service, GMail blowed past Hotmail in 2012, and fast light growing...

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
next wearable thing industry will adopt (when technology allows it a decent user experience), will be glasses, and eventually contact lenses, AI assistants will be 24h listening and detecting key words, showing you relevant info in the screens, making calculations etc... that service will lay 100% on powerful search engines.

Android has a much better integration of its hardware with the Google search engine as i.e. in Android, when a unknown telephone number calls you, it finds the number in Google Maps and shows the name in your screen. This little example now will be huge tomorrow.

There will be a day, not far from here, when hardware will be almost just a service, so thin or small..., though quite far from that day, we can see how people (at least outside USA) which has been a iOS user since 10 years ago, is swapping to Android because they can change hardware in a year basis spending half the money, and hardware advantages between one and other, though important to me and to many people, are bit by bit losing distance.

Maybe is too soon for this kind of dream, but Google.com is 20 years old now, so it looks like this take some time to do and improve and patents are getting filled.

Google's experience on the search engine market is giving them a very powerful and advanced tools to organize info, images and videos.

Just wondering...

We have DuckDuckGo, so that's already been done... The problem, how it should be done now. Do it ALL yourself .. DuckDuckGo aggregates with Bing, Yahoo and others to provide a 'private' experience.

The biggest "good" thing,If Apple did do a search engine, would be privacy.We do need more search engines that take your privacy and "not tracking"

I guess if you can't aggregate, the it won't be good experience, but how do you know if you don't try ?

Weather direct, or in-direct, you can still follow the "chain" back to you or near to it.

I really don't like the idea of sacrificing privacy for convenience, and "24hr listening devices" sound like exactly that. Not surprised to hear Google being the ones behind this kind of thing.

except its not a 24 hour listening device.. It's like when you loose internet connection to password connected app to the cloud, your "hoping" it will honer the offline mode as well..

There may not be any evidence it will, or won't always, your just taking the developers word for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: nouveau_redneck

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
We have DuckDuckGo, so that's already been done... The problem, how it should be done now. Do it ALL yourself .. DuckDuckGo aggregates with Bing, Yahoo and others to provide a 'private' experience.

The biggest "good" thing,If Apple did do a search engine, would be privacy.We do need more search engines that take your privacy and "not tracking"

I guess if you can't aggregate, the it won't be good experience, but how do you know if you don't try ?

Weather direct, or in-direct, you can still follow the "chain" back to you or near to it.

except its not a 24 hour listening device.. It's like when you loose internet connection to password connected app to the cloud, your "hoping" it will honer the offline mode as well..

There may not be any evidence it will, or won't always, your just taking the developers word for it.

I know, but aren't you loosing al the privacy as soon as you clic a link and go out of Duckduckgo?, the privacy starts to dim, so you are really doing little things

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I know, but aren't you loosing al the privacy as soon as you clic a link and go out of Duckduckgo?, the privacy starts to dim, so you are really doing little things

DDG (my search engine of choice) is probably better for privacy than Google, right? If there's an opportunity to make an even more private one, with a sustainable business model to go with it, that's great.

There's definitely an opportunity here, but i dont think Apple should get into the business of reinventing the whole internet. IMHO

If if is possible to create something like 'Sherlock 2' where Apple serves as the middle-man to other search engines, thus providing an extra layer of abstraction (and thus privacy).... maybe that's a good idea too?

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
yep, something like that could be "something" but my concern is about the power and technology that offers to own a search engine, as it offers a lot of advantages to their owners.

Put aside privacy for a while, think in the "own software+hardware" vs "own software+hardware+information" thing, Apple's famous motu was right for the 80's, but the binomium ended as soon as everyone has internet access (tanks to the smartphones)

People uses phones 90% accessing internet, apps, games, music and social media but web browser still being a big chunk of that pie, first thing almost everyone does when open their web browser is writing in the search bar.

Apple wants to control hardware+software, and now is expanding services to movies, as smartphone market has reach a saturation point, their financials will slow down in the next years, what is never slowing down is searches, that still growing...

Maybe Siri will be Sherlock 2.0, as is pointing to that, but now a day is a very very bad way to search something

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
yep, something like that could be "something" but my concern is about the power and technology that offers to own a search engine, as it offers a lot of advantages to their owners.

Put aside privacy for a while, think in the "own software+hardware" vs "own software+hardware+information" thing, Apple's famous motu was right for the 80's, but the binomium ended as soon as everyone has internet access (tanks to the smartphones)

People uses phones 90% accessing internet, apps, games, music and social media but web browser still being a big chunk of that pie, first thing almost everyone does when open their web browser is writing in the search bar.

Apple wants to control hardware+software, and now is expanding services to movies, as smartphone market has reach a saturation point, their financials will slow down in the next years, what is never slowing down is searches, that still growing...

Maybe Siri will be Sherlock 2.0, as is pointing to that, but now a day is a very very bad way to search something

One would have to ask is how does DDG make money? I don’t believe they get paid to prioritize specific search results or even sponsor.

Apple is too late to this game partly because they are not a primary software services company. Also the DDG like experience will end up hurting their overall revenue. They aren’t in the business of only pleasing the consumer at the moment.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
The real question should be whether they even could or not with how the company is set up.
I see, you mean the serach market is not as simple as buying, i.e, DUckDuckGo?

But they already bought Shazam, so they are in the music bussines and they bought music search comp...

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I see, you mean the serach market is not as simple as buying, i.e, DUckDuckGo?

But they already bought Shazam, so they are in the music bussines and they bought music search comp...

Not if they are going to have a good search engine.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
One would have to ask is how does DDG make money? I don’t believe they get paid to prioritize specific search results or even sponsor.

Apple is too late to this game partly because they are not a primary software services company. Also the DDG like experience will end up hurting their overall revenue. They aren’t in the business of only pleasing the consumer at the moment.

DDG makes money by serving ads. The difference is that they do not track you so they are not "personalized". They serve ads based on the present search query. It's an effective model. If you look at their constant growth month over month, it's easy to see that many people are moving to them. Anyone that thinks privacy is a good thing, would do good by using DDG. I for one have not used any other search engine since some time in 2011.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.