Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SABunting

Suspended
Apr 17, 2024
I think it has already happened internally.

Each year Siri got a few more key features... a big jump in how natural its voice felt. Still didn't work well at all, but it was moving forward.

Lately, we've had pretty much nothing in terms of big Siri jumps forward. I think it's deliberate and all resources are working on its successor.

Still, I'm really really excited for WWDC. I hope Apple pulls its usual 'we aren't the first on the AI bandwagon, but we're going to be the best' and in a way that everyday people find themselves using it.

I briefly had an S24 Ultra for about a week when it launched in February. And all the reviews focussed on the new AI features. Circle to search: I thought I'd seen this before somewhere, I couldn't even figure out how to do it but typing into Google felt faster and by now, most of us know how to use keywords to get what we need. AI Wallpapers: so I had a play with this, they all look extremely similar and there were like 5 limited drop-down that you could combine to generate a very narrowly predefined sort of wallpaper. After a few minutes, I still never picked one and felt like I'd reached the bottom of the barrel with that feature. Browsing Assist: a summary of every web page, but websites that can do this have existed for ages, as have browsers and plugins with the ability. Bing is already doing it on the side by default. Transcript Assist: hasn't Apple had this in more useful places like voice messages in iMessage? Photo Edit assist: again, used it on Affinity Photo for what in 2018 felt like magic to remove a cow from a field and it painted in the background, cool, but not ground breaking anymore. And then, THEN I read that eventually, Samsung plans to CHARGE for the features?! After a fairly lacklustre / gimmicky experience trying them all out, that was the straw that broke the camels back. I lost interest entirely. I was grateful for the 14 day return policy.

Tl:dr; I hope Apple does some meaningful, practical AI stuff in the next iOS / macOS. The other headliners I've seen to date, whilst cool that they exist, aren't so useful

Reactions: gusmula

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
That guy has 8 HomePods and completely leaves the apple system now because of Siri? What an idiot. Why buy 8 HomePods in the first place? It's not that Siri turned bad today...
The internet these days is such a mess..
He did not say he was leaving the Apple eco-system. This guy is a major Apple fanboy. He is just frustrated with Siri like the rest of us.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
So the use case is simple fact checking? And how does one determine whether you've gotten a fact or a hallucination back from AI's out there?

I was demo'd CoPilot by MS well over a year ago. It spat out some very impressive looking step by step instructions and screenshots on how to enable a function I was investigating for my company. Cool stuff, except when I went to follow those instructions the feature literally didn't exist.

That's just a work scenario, but I absolutely cannot fathom wanting or needing to do something like that on my phone.

So is the root of all this just that people want Siri to understand them better?
Probably. Much of this is groupthink. They hated itunes. Got something worse instead. This AI stuff is so overrated. It just isn't reliable for my business.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Um, maybe just answer a simple question correctly would be nice. "Siri, who is the Speaker of the House" to which Siri answers, telling me it can't find any speakers in my house. Clearly, Siri doesn't listen.
I just asked my HomePod mini this question and it had the answer in less than second. Seems there is an inconsistency with Siri. Not sure why, though. Just about every time someone says it can't do something, I try it and it works. 🤔

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
I love the response when asking Siri "Where is my iPhone" and she comes back with "I'm sorry, I cannot find your iPhone right now. You will need to open Find My on your iPhone to locate your iPhone"

• Haha

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Even with the limitations I still find SIRI useful at times, it's not like this MacRumors title portrays aka "Should Apple Kill Siri and Start Over?" SIRI is just a voice controlled, AI-powered digital assistant that relies on what functions it can control or interact with. It's never been the equivalent of typing in words of a major search engine looking for info on the web. Instead it represents command syntax for performing a finite number of functions on your Apple device.

In that regard SIRI is like a old multi blade knife, with blades that are no longer state of the art, instead they are getting dull and not sharp enough to do exactly what you want for the blade you are using.

This is fault of Apple knowing that it needs major underlying functional improvements to do its work more accurately and faster. Possibly this was stalled for the last 5 years around the increase amount of AI processes that would come out the lab when Apple felt it was ready. Supposedly these AI enhanced OS's are suppose to make their way to daylight this WWDC 2024.

As I expressed previously what people are looking for is to be able to do more things then SiRI is currently capable of, for the iPhone that would mean a increased number of functions you can do handsfree instead of touch interact so much. The iPhone has a lot of functionality most learn briefly about and forget. SIRI could be the interface that allows the phone to overcome that as a possibility.

For all devices I like to see SIRI be able to find more technical or specific information focused web sites using additional speech command syntax. Not generalized terms that it derives from online encyclopedia like sites like wikipedia. :cool:

bigheaddoug

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2020
Siri is the only Apple product so bad it makes me long for the days when the puck mouse was their worst product.

Kay_Ess

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2022
What about “Hey Apple”?
That’s going to suck for basically everyone who doesn’t live in a country where English is the primary language :)
“Siri” works in all languages I can speak and with all accents. Saying the “a” in “Apple” or do a smooth transition from the “p” to “le” is actually pretty hard for approximately 94.94% of the world population.

So no, no “Hey Apple” :p

DaPhox

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
Maybe Apple should appropriate the name for more diversity? ”Hey Ndugu”? ”Yo LaKeesha”?

• Haha

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Maybe Apple should appropriate the name for more diversity? ”Hey Ndugu”? ”Yo LaKeesha”?
Are you familiar with the origin of Siri?

It may be a household name now, but the first time Steve Jobs heard the word "Siri," he wasn't sold. That's according to Dag Kittalaus, the Norwegian cocreator of the iPhone 4S' famed virtual assistant, who offered new details this week on how the technology was named, and how it seduced the late Apple founder.
Kittalaus came up with name, as he revealed at a startup conference in Chicago this week, he planned to name his daughter Siri after a former coworker (in Norwegian, Siri means "beautiful woman who leads you to victory") and even registered the domain Siri.com.
Kittalaus, who worked for Apple until October 2011, tried to convince the notoriously hardheaded Jobs that Siri was a great name. But in the end, the company stuck with the name for a more straightforward reason: No one could dream up anything better. (According to Wikipedia, the name is now also used as shorthand for "Speech Interpretation and Recognition Interface.")
Trademarking names as you know if not a quick process, so for Apple to change it at this late stage would be very costly as you have multiple generations of Apple Operating systems that use the term Siri. :cool:

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
I ran how many miles?

Attachments

• trump.jpg
    trump.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Haha

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Before Apple bought it, Siri was on the road to being a robust digital assistant that could do many things, and integrate with many services — even though it was being built by a startup with limited funds and people
I forgot the name of the original company that worked on it, but it was originally slated for iOS, Android, AND Blackberry OS before Apple acquired it. When I originally heard the news a long time ago (yes, back when Blackberry was still around), I thought Apple would have a huge leg up over Android. I didn't think Android would turn the tables on that area! :oops:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I forgot the name of the original company that worked on it, but it was originally slated for iOS, Android, AND Blackberry OS before Apple acquired it. When I originally heard the news a long time ago (yes, back when Blackberry was still around), I thought Apple would have a huge leg up over Android. I didn't think Android would turn the tables on that area! :oops:
see below
Siri, Inc. was incorporated in 2007, and the technology was launched as an IOS app available in the Apple Store in early 2010; plans were in the works to make the software available for the Blackberry and Android phones. Things changed when Kittalaus, then the start-ups's CEO, received a call three weeks later from Steve Jobs. Note: Apple went on to purchase Siri for $200 million in April 2010, ending plans to make it available for rival operating systems.

shinkansenwarrior

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
Tokyo
Phil was ostracized to the App Store and punished 80 hours a week for bragging so much about Siri and underdelivering.... oh Phil...so Siri of you!!!!!
siri-phil-schiller.jpeg

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
With all the insiders at Apple unloading stock and the price falling, along with apples cancellations, decreased iPhone sales, you might think Apple is at sort of a crossroad.

Is this focus on AI really the thing to do? Everyone else is too. Guess we’ll see. I’d try to buy some time. Not sure integrating Google AI is the best way to do that.

I might’ve partnered with MS for co pilot integration? I don’t know the answer. But apple ai for what exactly? Play a song? Call a contact? Ask a question? Can Apple even compete with them with a new Siri?

How does Apple make the iPhone more essential? IMO you have to be accommodating. To third parties. This is why I have an iPhone. Not because of apples services or Siri. I hardly use these.

Reactions: ackmondual

SkweeBop

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2024
I mean, perhaps I've limited my usecase with Siri, because it is undependable outside of placing calls, creating reminders, and narrating GPS directions. But I really need to keep the particular Siri voice I use for navigation for accessibility reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.