Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Are people just expecting too much from Siri?

I use Siri mainly for stuff like turning on and adjusting homekit accessories, setting timers, simple reminders, and so on. It works 98% of the time, and the other 2% is simply because it didn't hear me well due to noise in the environment or Bluetooth issues.

I think the problem is people want their computers to think for them, which almost never goes well. And believe me, using "AI" isn't going to make it much better. It'll seem better but make far more mistakes.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
How could Apple kill a corpse?
77501c38-45f0-4d5d-82ca-300d570d9104_text.gif

Zebulah

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
As someone with a spouse named Sherry, I am definitely in favor of renaming Siri! Although there have been a few rare instances where Siri answers a question directed at my wife -- and I thereby learn of a previously unknown (to me) Siri capability.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula and Tagbert

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
With as much as AI is going to have access to every single thing we type and everywhere we move our mouse and probably to watch and hear us use our computers, Siri could be an amazing companion IF it is used to automate what you do on your computer. If it can actually do some of the work for you, like you describe how you want files named and it figures it out kind of stuff. Do repetitive tasks on all open documents, then it's great. If its going to tell me what the weather is and some sports scores, its a waste of space. The problem with Apple is that they spend a lot of time showing off a new thing and then hardly updating it as competitors quickly outdo what it does. But actually doing something useful with it requires a lot of investment and commitment from Apple which they are slow as molasses to do on their own software. Flash and some substance when it's new, and mostly flash and little substance when it's not. With Siri, they need to go or get off the pot. But AI is the perfect way to enhance it if it can outdo GPT by automating your work, not just doing the typical GPT stuff.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Never used Siri. Really don’t get the appeal anyone has for Siri or Alexa or Cortaza or whatever.

I mean, I guess if Siri was as powerful as Jarvis in Iron Man, I might find a use for it…but I would also have a lot of privacy concerns with that too…I mean if Jarvis got hacked, you would really be in deep trouble…

Gengar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2022
Kanto Region
I don't know if they need to murder her, but they definitely need to roll out a more advanced alternative for newer devices.

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
That guy has 8 HomePods and completely leaves the apple system now because of Siri? What an idiot. Why buy 8 HomePods in the first place? It's not that Siri turned bad today...
The internet these days is such a mess..
  • He probably bought eight HomePods because he had a use for eight HomePods.
  • I would say he either hoped that Siri would improve overtime or bought HomePods before he knew how frustrating it would be on a day-to-day basis.
  • I agree that the Internet is a mess when comments like these make all kinds of assumptions about an individual’s needs and perspectives, and then calls them an idiot.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I really don’t understand the absolute fixation on Siri here.

Occasionally I ask it to call someone or set a timer. What other things do I need an “assistant” for in my daily life?

For those who compare it to things like chatGPT, are you looking for Siri to write essays for you or something?
I'd be happy of the damn thing would trigger my HomeKit scenes properly. it worked so much better in 2017, which is sad. and its terrible at playing the music ya ask for no matter how detailed the request at times.

Graphikos

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Perception will follow tangible results. If Siri is dramatically improved, perception will eventually catch up. It may take a bit of time, but it will happen. Look what Hyundia and Kia were able to do with their long lackluster brands.
We love our Hyundai, and it still feels weird to say that because of the brand. But it's totally true their quality and perception has come a long way. Our next car is likely to be Kia or Hyundai as well.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
Never used Siri. Really don’t get the appeal anyone has for Siri or Alexa or Cortaza or whatever.

I mean, I guess if Siri was as powerful as Jarvis in Iron Man, I might find a use for it…but I would also have a lot of privacy concerns with that too…I mean if Jarvis got hacked, you would really be in deep trouble…
Agreed!

Reactions: SpotOnT

Hobbes42

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2018
West Coast

Few features have promised to revolutionize the way we interact with our Apple devices as much as Siri, the company's ubiquitous virtual assistant. Launched in 2011, Siri was introduced as heralding a new era in human-computer interaction, offering an intuitive voice-controlled interface for accessing information, scheduling appointments, sending messages, and much more. The vision was grand: A personal assistant in your pocket, capable of understanding and acting upon a wide array of voice commands with ease and accuracy. So what happened?

Should-Apple-Kill-Siri-Feature.jpg

Enthusiasm for Siri has undeniably waned in the intervening years. Despite regular updates and improvements from Apple, Siri has struggled to keep pace with its advancing rivals, and in an era of generative AI chatbots and large language models, Siri's failings have only been magnified. Issues ranging from misinterpreted commands to limited contextual understanding have not only hindered Siri's usability but have also led to an almost universal perception of the virtual assistant as a source of user frustration rather than assistance. This persistent underperformance begs the question: Is it time for Apple to kill Siri and start over?

Siri's Birth Pangs

Siri's conceptual roots at Apple can be traced back to the company's early exploration of human-computer interaction. Thirty years ago, Apple commissioned a group of employees to create a video showing how in the future humans might interact with computers using spoken language. The video, known as "Knowledge Navigator," featured a professor chatting with a virtual assistant to perform everyday tasks and academic research. In one of the tasks, the professor asks the assistant to search for a five-year-old publication. The assistant pulls up an article dated 2006, suggesting the video is supposed to be set in September 2011.

The video was criticized at the time for being an unrealistic portrayal of the capacities of a virtual assistant in the foreseeable future. Yet the demonstration inspired developers Adam Cheyer, Dag Kittlaus, and Tom Gruber, who began AI research on virtual assistants at SRI International, a DARPA-funded research laboratory in Menlo Park, California. Their work would result in a spin-out called Siri, named by Kittlaus after a co-worker in Norway. (Siri is short for Sigrid, which has its origins in Old Norse for words meaning "victory" and "beautiful".)

In February 2010, Kittlaus launched Siri as an app on Apple's App Store. Steve Jobs soon began playing with the app and was impressed with how it allowed the user to search the internet by voice. A few weeks later, Apple acquired the start-up. Siri's AI backend was in place, while its voice recognition technology would be supplied by Nuance Communications. Apple subsequently released its Siri virtual assistant (in beta) for the iPhone 4S in October 2011, just one month later than the fictional future in which Knowledge Navigator had been originally envisioned.

Fiction vs. Reality

Apple marketed Siri as more than just a tool — it was your intelligent assistant ready to help with a variety of tasks. Whether setting reminders, sending texts, making phone calls, or finding information online, Siri aimed to streamline it all with a simple voice command. There was nothing like it at the time and the initial results were impressive, but the underlying promise was that Siri would not only understand you but also learn from you, becoming more efficient and personalized over time.

siri-phil-schiller.jpeg

Regular iOS updates in the intervening years have worked towards making Siri more effective and realizing its original promise. Whenever a new iOS feature comes along, Apple usually ensures that it works with Siri, and these days it can be used to identify songs, get driving directions, send money via Apple Pay, and control HomeKit products, to name just a few of its skills. In 2021, Apple announced that Siri would work offline by default – whenever possible, it would process user requests on-device, with the same quality of server-based speech recognition.

siri-iphone-4s-examples.jpg

However, even now, the assistant that was supposed to understand context and grow with the user still faces significant challenges with context, understanding, and integration, regardless of whether it pings Apple's servers or processes requests locally. Many Apple device owners often say it struggles with even basic commands. Indeed, many users believe that, at least in some areas, Siri's abilities have gotten worse over time, especially since the release of iOS 17.

Michael Tsai's blog has done a good job of recording users' more recent frustrations with Siri. Here are just a handful of serial issues some users have recently reported:
  • Setting timers instead of alarms.
  • Bungling music requests (even for purchases that Siri has local access to).
  • Delayed responses over fast data connections.
  • Nonsense responses to conversion requests.
  • Creating notes instead of reminders.
  • Acknowledging requests without acting on them.
  • Overwrought punctuation when dictating.
  • Inability to consistently control smart devices.
The list could go on. But has Siri really gotten more stupid? Could most issues be put down to fringe use cases, or over-expectations in a brave new world of chatbots powered by immensely resource-heavy large-language models? Consider what Walt Mossberg said in 2016, writing for The Verge:
Before Apple bought it, Siri w... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Should Apple Kill Siri and Start Over?
Absolutely. It legitimately has somehow gotten WORSE over the last 5 or 6 years. It’s mind-boggling that it still exists in its current state.

Honestly it’s astonishing that it has languished for so long. What’s going on there? What has Apple been so focused on that they can’t improve a 13 year old product? And why is it less useful than it used to be?

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
For me Siri is getting better, maybe users have unrealistically expectations. It could be better yes, for basic task is very useful, for more detailed task or as a ChatBot ”ask me everything” Siri is not the right tool (maybe it doesn’t need to be used that way anyway).

Siri is know name changing it would be a mess for many, maybe.

I don’t know what the future will bring for Siri, but I’m sure whiners will whine in any case, both is Siri 2.0 is miserable but also if it is groundbreaking.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Siri is OK for: dictation, getting the weather, changing the volume, creating a reminder, creating an event and that’s about it. It probably works 90% of the time for me, unless there is any complexity to the request. It fails most of the time at playing the music or podcast I want. It doesn’t learn between requests and usually fails miserably at refinements of requests. Over time I use it less and less because while it often does work the failures are just too frustrating.

I don’t know what Apple should do, but Siri is so bad that I just don’t care anymore. I don’t look forward to any new version they might have because they have conditioned me to expect it to be worthless.

carswell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2023
As far as I'm concerned, she's been dead forever.

First thing I do after installing an app on my iPhone or iPad is turn off all its Siri connections. Speaking of which, Apple could make it easy to do so across the device with a single switch. Instead, it forces users to jump through hoops for each and every app. Stop shoving Siri down our throats, Cupertino!

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Siri+

While I fully understand the call for a "new tool, new name" approach, there is too much brand equity in "Siri."
The average tech user (my mom) doesn't have as adverse an opinion of Siri as those in the MR niche. I think talking about the "all new Siri" or "Siri+" could be enough - if the user experience is truly new/revolutionary. It can't be iterative. If it is, I'd neither change the name nor hype the newness.

Apple has a massive opportunity here to make a much needed splash about a truly [more] useful Siri. While I'm not exceedingly confident, I am hoping they can make it happen. We'll know a lot more in a few months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.