Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Many have been critical of the iPhad touchtoy. No need to rehash. But perhaps the critics should pause until:

1. Product launch. The keynote repeatedly said you had to actually use the iPad, up close and personal, to "get it." To try it out, see how easy and effortless its use is. Do Jobs and iPad supporters have a point?

Maybe they do. For example, take the iPod Touch. Looking at it remotely, I wasn't impressed with it. "Big deal, a small data device with an Apple logo." But when you use an iPod Touch, it really is a great little info device.

Perhaps we'll have the same hands-on reaction to iPad. Maybe.

2. iPad 2.0. Maybe they'll address some of the drawbacks either before launch or during the second product round, including multitask and USB. And maybe Apple will introduce an iPad with better resolution. Because I'm still not sold on this thing as a dedicated ebook reader, or anything else, really. Hence maybe we need some evolution until users can say whether the iPad is win or fail.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
People will say what they'll say no matter what. There were people trashing and praising the iPad before anyone even knew it existed, let alone actually held one. That's not going to change.

The real test will be to look back in a year or two and see what is and what was. Time tells all.

Personally, I'm optimistic (as usual), but will reserve final judgement until I've used the device for a period of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.