Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desklight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
I have a 2020 i5 8GB Macbook Air. I noticed that the temperatures reach 90+ degrees celsius when opening intensive applications (FCPX or Photoshop) or opening many tabs and applications . Sometimes the fan also reaches 8000rpm when using the webcam for 30mins or more. However I do not really mind the fan noise as it is still quiet compared to my old windows laptop. And the temperatures are not noticeable when using it on a desk.

Does the temperature staying at 90+ degrees celsius for long periods of time affect the machine internally? I saw that intel chips max temps were 100c. Will this affect the longevity of the mac? I plan on keeping it for 5 years max.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Completely normal. CPU is designed to go to 100C and not exceed that. Fan keeps air moving through as needed.

Personally I never bothered installing one of those monitoring things. I merely care about whether I hear the fan and whether it's comfortable in my lap. Since it remains comfortable and I only hear the fan when doing stuff I expect will push the computer and cause the fan to go, it's fine.

Reactions: MrKennedy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.