Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
So I had the 2020 SE, it got returned in days because battery was awful, Got myself an iPhone 11. Anyway its upgrade time, got a great deal on a 2022 SE. Have they improved battery life? I remember the whole excuse with the 2020 iPhone, it went like "Ah the new processor is more efficient meaning battery life will be good" didn't work out like that, battery life was crap, it lasted a day with mothering it, hammer it hard you were tied to a charger.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
So I had the 2020 SE, it got returned in days because battery was awful, Got myself an iPhone 11. Anyway its upgrade time, got a great deal on a 2022 SE. Have they improved battery life? I remember the whole excuse with the 2020 iPhone, it went like "Ah the new processor is more efficient meaning battery life will be good" didn't work out like that, battery life was crap, it lasted a day with mothering it, hammer it hard you were tied to a charger.
It’s a small phone so no. If you want more battery life then you have to get a bigger phone because that means they can fit a bigger battery into it. Efficiency might mean 10% better battery life but if it was crap by your standards 10% better than crap is still going to be crap.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
The battery life is fine for its size. If you’re a light to medium user the SE3 will last you all day. I’ve owned the SE3 for close to two months and it never went flat before 10pm daily.

Just be realistic and don’t compare to any of the 13 series like the 13 mini. Below is an example of my usage when I had the phone.

d1d65d1cdacd850f2e921bf3bef4ab16.jpg

Reactions: DaPhox and arkitect

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020
My SE2020 battery was a bit degraded (~85% health I think), and I'm not glued to my phone, but I charge my SE2022 every second day rather than every day. The 2022 seems significantly better.

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
I bought my SE 2022 on March 19. I have not had any issues with the battery life, but I’m also not using social media all day like many people do. I generally use my phone for texting, calling, GPS, and surfing the web among other light activities. You can extend the battery life by turning on Low Power Mode. I’ve been very happy with this phone. It is a worthy replacement for the iPhone 6, 7 and 8, especially if you’re not into the giant phones which seem to be prevalent these days.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I have had both the SE 2020 and 2022. It seems to me the battery performance is better on the 2022. I don’t know though if that is due to the battery being better or the processor is more efficient.

Reactions: 5105973

SouthernFried

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2022
The battery is acceptable to me, but it’s not on the level of the flagship and larger phones. Charging once a day is guaranteed if you are a moderate to heavy user. On extreme usage days, you may grab that charger twice. My XR was noticeably better in this department.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011

Compared to the SE 2020, the 2022 has a 10.8% larger battery, 33% more ram, and a more efficient processor. From what I’ve seen in personal usage, numerous reviews, and numerous YouTube videos, *all else being equal* you’ll get about 1.5 to 2.5 hours more usage per day than the 2020, depending on what you’re doing with it. Generally speaking, it’s still not going to match the battery life of a new 11, or even the 13 mini (which has a 19% larger battery than the SE 2022).

Keep in mind 5G as well. 5G sucks battery life faster than LTE. If you turn off 5G and only use LTE, those numbers could be consistent, or maybe even a bit better. But 5G is the one factor that can’t be compared to the SE 2020 or the 11. The good part is the 2022 has a better (in theory) modem, by moving away from Intel and getting back to Qualcomm. But 5G is still 5G and simply uses more power with current modem technology.

Reactions: 5105973

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
Thought I would update incase anyone else is wondering. I got one SE3 battery has been fine, much much better than the SE2, I come home from work at 5pm minimum 50% and thats off the charger from like 7am, I listen to podcasts and music all day at work, bit of browsing and email at lunchtime.

Reactions: mikext

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
Strange how we get different results. I have an SE2 and only have to charge it before bedtime if I've been using it for sat nav or filming video. Otherwise I can get to bedtime with between 50% and 90% charge.

On most days, I don't use it to make or receive voice calls, only dip into the internet and email, maybe take one or two photos, and message on WhatsApp. I don't play games on it. So perhaps I would be considered a frugal phone user.

Nice to read the SE3 is even better.

staypuftforums

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2021
Thought I would update incase anyone else is wondering. I got one SE3 battery has been fine, much much better than the SE2, I come home from work at 5pm minimum 50% and thats off the charger from like 7am, I listen to podcasts and music all day at work, bit of browsing and email at lunchtime.
Out of curiosity, why did you go from an iPhone 11 to the SE?

That seems like a downgrade to me. In Canada, the SE is $100 cheaper than the 11.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
It needs the iPhone smart battery case. I use one on my SE 2020 and it lasts all day.
I don't understand why they stopped makling them. I loved that battery case. You could see the enact charge of the case on the iPhone, and it would draw power from the case first, so you would save your iPhone battery as long as the case didn't die before you recharged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.