Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddhhddhh2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2021
Taipei
Hey folks on the forum, regarding this issue, I'm pretty sure I'm seriously ignorant about it. See, a few days ago, my colleague mentioned in passing that sometimes there's a slight "sound" when shaking his MBP, which he showed me (it's actually not that bad). So, I tested my own MBP (M1 Max 16) and indeed it has it too, but as I said, it's not severe and requires some force to make it happen.

Since I had no idea about this, I did some searching and found out that this seems to be a not uncommon issue. However, the "symptoms" of my and my colleague's MBP are not as noticeable as those shown in the videos, more like the shake of a book in a briefcase. No, it's not that extreme, but it's still there.

I happen to have another MBP 16 (2019) at home, so I tested it as well, and surprisingly it makes no sound at all no matter how much I shake it. As I searched for this issue again, I noticed many people say it's actually a design flaw that is not a big deal and can be ignored if it's not noticeable.

Well, despite my ignorance about this, I just want to know one thing. Do I need to worry about it? I mean, before I was told about it, I didn't even know it existed. But now that I know, will this "symptom" affect my MBP in a few years? I just want to know that. If it really doesn't affect anything, whether it's the screen or something else, then I plan to ignore it and not contact Apple Care.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Don't shake it, and you won't "hear the sound".
(this is intended as a 100% serious reply)
Yet, it doesn’t come across that way. Obviously not shaking it will avoid the sound, but it doesn’t address the cause of the sound, which may or may not be of consequence.

Reactions: ddhhddhh2

Serge88

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
I'm sure if I shake my MacbookPro vigorously and non-stop, something will become loose and it will make a sound.

Reactions: ddhhddhh2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.