Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tianble7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
New Jersey
Hello,

Some one find me to test their products, like Apple Watch Series 2 Case, Apple Watch Series 2 Band, iPhone Screen Protector, iPhone Case and so on... She told me that they will sent me these products free just for my honest review on her Amazon store.

Should i believe her?

Reactions: dienwade724

NukeDuke

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2017
Two Chinese sellers have contacted me after I gave negative reviews of their bands and offered free new and improved bands if I revised the review after I got the new product. This was for bands I had refunded. So basically they gave me new bands for free.

One I was more impressed by the replacement band and I changed the review but the other was still poor so I didn't change it.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Yes, I've been offered to test ****** 3rd party products nobody has heard of

Someone offering that is something normal, but use your discretion (don't give credit card numbers out!)

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I've read Amazon reviews for years now where the the reviewer discloses that they were given the product in exchange for a review. The reviews are not always positive, but most of the time they are.

I think this happens a lot with third party watch bands and accessories, because there are so many options on Amazon that look identical and cost roughly the same. These products aren't expensive, so it makes reasonable sense that a company would give out freebies in exchange for reviews. They know that when faced with multiple options that are seemingly identical, I will usually buy the one that has the most reviews as long as those reviews are in the 4 or 5 star range.

I agree that there is likely no harm in doing this as long as you aren't asked to hand over any information that makes you uncomfortable. I would also read anything they ask you to sign very carefully. I don't know if they can legally ask you to sign something guaranteeing that you will write a review. Maybe they can. I could see it being perfectly legal to ask you to sign a contract that says you will write a review with a specific minimum word count in exchange for a free product that is yours to keep. As long as they aren't forcing you to write a positive review, it's probably legal (keep in mind I am NOT an attorney).

I would first ask yourself if you actually want the products they are asking you to review. If not, then it's a waste of time. If you do want them, you just have to ask yourself if writing a review is worth your time. What if they send you ten products to test an ask you to write ten reviews? That could be a lot of work. On the plus side, if they are asking you to review the products then they are very likely to rush a replacement if you receive any defective or broken parts.

f you do decide to do this, I'd be very curious to know how it actually pans out: What they asked you to do, if they asked you to sign anything, how the experience went, etc.

Sean

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.