Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Hello.
so, the tittle says it all.
I, currently, have the latest 15 pro max in natural, and I love it!
But I’ve always wanted to collect and own a mini.
To me, it’s a unique, special little vintage thing, that I’ve always wanted to own. I could see myself use it at home, just to spare the usage of battery on my main 15 pro max. To those who owns multiple iPhones, what other potential is there for having a secondary iphone? I can only think of the followings; To use my main phone less at home and preserve the battery by using the mini, and having a secondary Pokemon Go account on the mini. What else?

ps, what color? White or product red?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I have 5 usable older phones in my collection. Not because I collect iPhones, but because I keep them too long and they aren’t worth selling.
I recommend that everyone have at least one fully functional spare iPhone that can be used at a moment’s notice.
What if your main phone malfunctions? What if it has to go in for repair? What if you drop it and it breaks?
Gotta have a functional spare iPhone if having a phone is important.

I wouldn’t get another iPhone to try to save the battery on the new one. If you charge the new iPhone 15 to only 80% and don’t discharge it to zero, the battery will outlast the useful life of the phone.
I have a 9 year old 6 Plus on the original battery and it’s battery health is still over 90%. Doesn’t seem possible — but it’s true

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
Yes, it's tough to find a new Mini 13. I recently managed to find one on Ebay. They are and will be collectible. I love mine. Fits right in my pants pocket. So much lighter than my wife's 12. If you can, why not pick one up. Fun to use. A pretty screen. I've got 2 now, and I'm set for cell phones for quite a while. I also got an Apple magsafe charger should I need the extra power.

Reactions: Cape Dave

goodthymes

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2022
Hello.
so, the tittle says it all.
I, currently, have the latest 15 pro max in natural, and I love it!
But I’ve always wanted to collect and own a mini.
To me, it’s a unique, special little vintage thing, that I’ve always wanted to own. I could see myself use it at home, just to spare the usage of battery on my main 15 pro max. To those who owns multiple iPhones, what other potential is there for having a secondary iphone? I can only think of the followings; To use my main phone less at home and preserve the battery by using the mini, and having a secondary Pokemon Go account on the mini. What else?

ps, what color? White or product red?
I use 12mini and have a spare 13mini in a drawer as a back up and wouldn't trade them for a "Pro" anything, but I have to agree with -now i see it-, doesn't make sense to get a 13mini just to save the battery on your 15Pro. The battery on the 13mini isn't that great to begin with and switching constantly between the Pro Max and Mini's screen will definitely noticeable sizewise and lack of promotion. As a spare and collectible, maybe.

I on the other hand been pondering to get a 15pro to use as a desk display/music streaming device and for the better cameras/macro ability - haha.

Reactions: darkus and snipr125

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2014
I bought a 12 Mini when it first came out. Once the novelty factor wore off, practical factors like weak battery life and getting used to a larger screen made me sell it to a friend. The only other use cases I could think of (besides a backup phone) was to use it at the gym for music or while running outside so I could call for help should if needed. It was small enough to fit into my running vest.

You may want to wait until the new SE comes out if you want a similar form factor. It may have the added benefit of USB-C. https://www.macrumors.com/guide/iphone-se-4/

Reactions: JiggyJaggy

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
If you have your heart set on getting one, wait until you see one hit the Apple refurb site.
you really think it will hit the apple refurb store? My carrier still has 512 and 256 models.... I might get one again since Im returning the green mini from amazon.

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
I've had zero luck finding a new or good used green 256GB iPhone 13 mini in Canada - and I started actively checking in March 2022....

As far as I can tell the Apple Store in my area has never actually stocked them.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Been thinking about getting the 13 mini (I prefer small form factors) but my SE3 has the same CPU and RAM so longevity is the same.

Only effective upgrade for me is the camera system and I really like the green color. OLED gives me migraines and on phones, I prefer the home button over FaceID. It doesn’t really seem worth it to me for $899+tax for 512GB.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I bought a Mini 12 last year when I had a 14 PM which I found it too heavy to carry on some occasions. I was fascinated with the Mini and found a good reason to get one. Originally it was just to carry in my treat bag when using an App for dog walking that wasn't available for my watch. I had no plan to activate it. But once I got it I loved its size. I did end up activating it as a second phone and I use it any time the smaller, lighter phone is an advantage. It is so small and light I hardly notice it in my pocket or carrying it in my purse. I got the Mini 12 in purple (open box on eBay) and also got a new Mini 13 in green to use in the future. I say go for it.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
My wife traded-in her 256GB 13 Mini for a 15 Pro. She was initially attracted to the smaller size and reduced weight of the Mini but 7 months into it she complained about the limited battery life. Most of all, she really hated the camera and felt it was a distinct downgrade from her previous 11 Pro Max in image quality. She is relieved to part with the 13 Mini. Too bad it didn't go to one of you that desires a 13 Mini.

Last edited:
Reactions: johndoe588

FranApple

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2020
I saw a guy yesterday with a mini and it looked like a toy phone. I understand the appeal, but current day phones don’t feel big to me. I’d rather have the bigger screen and better battery. The mini’s battery wouldn’t work for me.

Jared G.K.

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
when I purchased the 15 Pro, the plan was to sell my 14, and my 13 mini.
So I sold the 14 but think I'll keep the mini.
As much as I like the 15 pro, I miss the small form factor of the mini.
Being able to at least use it at home from time to time makes me feel comfortable.
I just wish Apple and some app providers would support using 2 iPhones in parallel, better than they currently do, without having to 'switch' between devices, which often creates hassle in some areas. In case of Apple I think this would even boost sales a little.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I use 12mini and have a spare 13mini in a drawer as a back up and wouldn't trade them for a "Pro" anything, but I have to agree with -now i see it-, doesn't make sense to get a 13mini just to save the battery on your 15Pro. The battery on the 13mini isn't that great to begin with and switching constantly between the Pro Max and Mini's screen will definitely noticeable sizewise and lack of promotion. As a spare and collectible, maybe.

I on the other hand been pondering to get a 15pro to use as a desk display/music streaming device and for the better cameras/macro ability - haha.
Its interesting that you use your 12 mini as your daily, and your 13 mini is your spare/back up device. With me its the other way round!

Prince Akeem

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
To answer the OP: I wouldn't buy a new 2nd phone just to spare battery degradation on your main phone. Not a good investment.
  • Replacing the battery over time is smarter.
  • If you still want a backup phone that you don't use at all normally, just get a used (or refurbished) iPhone
  • If you really want a 13 mini, get one either way! If you fall in love with the size class, there may be a chance that you end up completely switching over and selling your 15 Pro :)

I use 12mini and have a spare 13mini in a drawer as a back up

Its interesting that you use your 12 mini as your daily, and your 13 mini is your spare/back up device. With me its the other way round!

Yes, it was strange to read this! The 13 mini is much better in many ways, the bigger battery in the 13 Mini is a major very noticeable improvement over the 12 mini. It's a waste to let it sit in a drawer and not the other way around.

If I were you I would instantly start using the 13 mini and keep the 12 mini as a backup in case your main phone breaks, just to cover the time to get a replacement 13 mini.

Last edited:

Prince Akeem

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
[...] The battery on the 13mini isn't that great to begin [...]

Sad that this statement is returning so often. The iPhone 13 mini battery is amazing in its size class. For instance, it's quite a lot better than an iPhone 8, or SE2, or even X (in this size class).

So, YES it's a smaller phone and thus is has a smaller battery of course, but in it's size class it's very good! And also a big improvement over the 12 mini! (The 13 mini outer housing is actually slightly larger to accommodate the larger battery).

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
It reminds me my of my childhood when i was frugal😁: once i finished Serious Sam game with only 1 revolver and having all other guns and shells unwasted and untouched. It was a pain and i didn’t get the fun from the game. This lesson taught me that extreme frugality and hoarding brings less joy and more stress.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I loved my 13 Mini and still have it around. I got a 15 Pro and am getting used to it but I do miss easy one-handed operation and having a very small pocket rectangle lol. If you want a pristine 13 Mini in red, it'll be for sale at some point. It's been kept in a case its entire life so no physical damage whatsoever, battery health steady at 88%.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
I've had zero luck finding a new or good used green 256GB iPhone 13 mini in Canada - and I started actively checking in March 2022....

As far as I can tell the Apple Store in my area has never actually stocked them.
We found our two new iPhone13minis at our carrier’s nearby office. AT&T, and here in the US. Canada may differ of course but carriers usually have and sell iPhones long after Apple doesn’t. That was a bit over a year ago. Today, I see AT&T still has and sells the iPhone12mini but the 13minis show as not available.

matsan

macrumors regular
May 3, 2022
Just picked up my 13 mini / 128GB that I bought from Amazon, could not get the Apple Store to sell me one.
Replacing my 12 mini that's been with me for about two years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.