Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I currently use a Mac Pro 5,1 running on OpenCore Big Sur and Windows 10. I'm self employed and I need to be able to boot to Windows every day, for my work related responsibilities. Not interested to use Latebloom or other temp patches, I need a reliable system.

Right now I use 2 nVME 500GB disks, one for Big Sur and one for Windows. I presume 6,1 accommodates only one nVME disk so I will have to purchase 1TB disk, if needed, and partition it into 2 drives.

Do you have any recommendations related purchasing a 2013 Mac? I don't know what to do, I don't want to spend the money on a 7,1 or iMac, I need a compact form factor. Eventually the new Mx chips will support windows once the ARM version gets out of beta. I'm not sure what direction to take.

For the cost of a 2013 MacBook Pro I would wager that you can buy both an M1 mini/MacBook or maybe even an entry m1-pro MacBook Pro (which will likely outperform it) PLUS a small intel machine for Windows workloads, plus a KVM switcher. At least that seems to be the case where I am, the trashcan didn't sell well here and holds its value.

What is your Windows workload?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Eventually the new Mx chips will support windows once the ARM version gets out of beta. I'm not sure what direction to take.
I would not bet anything on this.

Microsoft is still treating ARM as a second-class citizen and even if Windows supports it you're likely going to be running Windows apps through ARM->X64 translation as the native ARM App Library for windows is tiny.

Microsoft also have no solid plans to sell Windows for ARM separately from ARM based machines, so getting a legitimate software license for it may be difficult.

apostolosdt

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
Recently I traded an 8-core 4,1 for a 6-core 6,1. I wouldn't have done it without having second thoughts, hadn't I owned a 12-core 5,1 as well. I am aware of the 6,1 limitations, but working with older OS all these years was a bit annoying. Time will show.

Last edited:

tracer1

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
SC
I have the basic 6,1 3.7 that works very well. I also have a 4,1 flashed to 5,1 basically original with the exception of 10 gigs of memory. I also have a 2010 5,1 upgraded to a 2012. 12 core, 32 gigs of memory & GTX680 flashed to boot screen. Both of these (5,1) have been exceptional machines. But I do have to say the 6,1 has been exceptional also. It a small footprint, very quiet, and probably twice as fast as my 5,1s. I have the 27" (2012) LED Cinema Display and the 6,1 connects to the mini port with out any adapters. When I got the 6,1 I thought I would have to buy a adapter or get a TB display, but it worked out great. I think tsialex was pretty much correct on his assessment of the 6,1. All are and have been good machines.

Reactions: AlexMaximus

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
I'm a sucker for compact Macs, between the TAM and the G4 Cube I have, I really do want to get my hands on a nice 6,1 eventually. If there had just been GPU upgrades for them I'd be singing a different tune about using it as my main machine.
Wouldn't we all. Apple did us dirty dirty on that one. My HP Z840 & Z820 Hackintoshes are superb. When 6,1 drops to sub $400 may snag a couple.

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
A friend offered me his 12 core 6,1 for $1000 CDN when the new M1X MacBook Pro came out. It was the amount Apple offered on trade-in, but I turned him down. As much as I wanted a 6,1 for just a few hundred more I could have a brand new M1 Mini.

My 4,1 is still running well, but I just bought a new camera and will be working with 4K raw so I‘m curious to see how well it’ll handle that.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Recently I traded an 8-core 4,1 for a 6-core 6,1. I wouldn't have done it without having second thoughts, hadn't I owned a 12-core 5,1 as well. I am aware of the 6,1 limitations, but working with older OS all these years was a bit annoying. Time will show.
I have a 12 core 5,1 and a 6 core 5,1 (both 3.46ghz X5690) and those are on 12.2 and 12.1 MacOS Monterey respectively.

However I managed to get hold of a very nicely kept 12 core, 64GB ram 2.4ghz dual D700 and 1TB 6,1 for a great price pre-owned. It has turned out to be a very fast machine, and now even faster when I got the 12 core 2.7ghz processor and did the upgrade (cue reply cautioning not to do upgrade). ;) The bonus was it even came with the original box and packaging and even the little folder of stickers Apple gives you and all the little documents for warranty and everything.

The 6,1 is a lovely machine and it is even faster than my 12 core 5,1 but I prefer the 5,1 for how easy it is to upgrade. 12.1 and 12.2 Monterey have proven really great on the 5,1.

Reactions: R2FX and richmlow

grouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
New York
@TECK After seeing that the mac studio isn't really the upgrade that many 2013 mac pro users want, I think the 6,1 8-core is a fantastic machine.

Reactions: TBdrum1

TBdrum1

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2022
I have a 2012 Mac Pro 6 core 3.46Ghz it works great, but the DAW that I use just upgraded their software and now I need Monterey or Big Sur to upgrade to the new software, and was thinking of purchasing a 6,1 6 0r 8 core machine. I see some reasonably priced ones on Ebay. I see a lot of Mac Pro users who used dosdudes patchers have had issues with their Mac Pros, and I don't know anything about OpenCore.
The specs of the 6,1 machines seem to be cool for what I'd like to do with it.

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I don't know anything about OpenCore
Is easier than you think to use, I use OpenCore in my CMP 5,1 for 3 years with zero issues. That's what is stopping me to upgrade my Mac, everything works too well, to justify spending 3,000$+ for a Studio.

TBdrum1

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2022
Is easier than you think to use, I use OpenCore in my CMP 5,1 for 3 years with zero issues. That's what is stopping me to upgrade my Mac, everything works too well, to justify spending 3,000$+ for a Studio.
Thanks! I need to buy another SSD drive to backup before trying this. It seems to be a lot to do to setup MP 5,1 with OpenCore.

grouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
New York
I have a 2012 Mac Pro 6 core 3.46Ghz it works great, but the DAW that I use just upgraded their software and now I need Monterey or Big Sur to upgrade to the new software, and was thinking of purchasing a 6,1 6 0r 8 core machine. I see some reasonably priced ones on Ebay. I see a lot of Mac Pro users who used dosdudes patchers have had issues with their Mac Pros, and I don't know anything about OpenCore.
The specs of the 6,1 machines seem to be cool for what I'd like to do with it.
I wouldn't get anything but the 8-core. Remember the CPU is upgradable as well if you have one of the other CPUs.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
For anyone reading this thread who is thinking about buying a 6,1, there's a 6 core D500 unit that still has AppleCare+ listed on eBay for $999 or best offer. It expires in June, but could be renewed monthly within 30 days of expiration. It's item # 234519572902.

EvilMonk

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Just got my first 2013 from my uncle and I’m waiting for my new 12 cores Xeon E5-2697v2 2.7 GHz and 64 Gb 1866 quad channel ram kit… I ordered a Razer Core X Chroma TB3 enclosure and a RX 6600 8Gb to have more zap for graphics but it will be shared between 2 Mac Pro, a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Air and an Asus ROG gaming laptop with thunderbolt… it’s not my favourite machine I prefer my 2 cMP but it will be a good bridge to gap for now until I get a 2019 Mac Pro in a couple years…

ironmanny1

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
I have two 6,1. One running in my garage as a media server and the other one as my personal. It sits next to my 4,1 -> 5,1 and runs Logitech flow. I would like to get the universal control to work with my 6,1 but haven't found a good solution yet. I posted on the forum about it.

I initially cleaned out my 6,1 when I first got it not too long ago. for the past month or so, the trashcan felt hot. Yesterday, I unplugged everything and did a good cleaning on it. Boy was there a lot of dust. After cleaning it, the trashcan now feels much cooler.

It appears the prices for these 6,1 are finally coming down. I'm also seeing a lot of 7,1 for sale now, but still a bit pricey. So far the 6,1 is treating me well for my needs.

I've gotten the EGPU with RX580 to work with my 6,1. However, when running certain programs like parallels, parallels would crash. There were some other funky little glitches that would happen when I had the EGPU running. As a result, I put the rx580 back into my cMP.

Reactions: EvilMonk

EvilMonk

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I have two 6,1. One running in my garage as a media server and the other one as my personal. It sits next to my 4,1 -> 5,1 and runs Logitech flow. I would like to get the universal control to work with my 6,1 but haven't found a good solution yet. I posted on the forum about it.

I initially cleaned out my 6,1 when I first got it not too long ago. for the past month or so, the trashcan felt hot. Yesterday, I unplugged everything and did a good cleaning on it. Boy was there a lot of dust. After cleaning it, the trashcan now feels much cooler.

It appears the prices for these 6,1 are finally coming down. I'm also seeing a lot of 7,1 for sale now, but still a bit pricey. So far the 6,1 is treating me well for my needs.

I've gotten the EGPU with RX580 to work with my 6,1. However, when running certain programs like parallels, parallels would crash. There were some other funky little glitches that would happen when I had the EGPU running. As a result, I put the rx580 back into my cMP.
I just got an RX 6600 with a Razer Core X Chroma for my 5,1 and 6,1 ??‍♂️? I hope I won’t have your problem ?

Last edited:

ssj92

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2022
East Bay, CA
I was originally going to buy a 6,1 but reading about GPU issues (especially since replacements can be expensive) I decided to get a 5,1. I specced out the 5,1 but now I kinda wanna get a 6,1 lol.

ironmanny1

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
I was originally going to buy a 6,1 but reading about GPU issues (especially since replacements can be expensive) I decided to get a 5,1. I specced out the 5,1 but now I kinda wanna get a 6,1 lol.
The 6,1 is pretty cool... not really =). I have to use macfancontrol to bump up the fan when it gets pretty warm. Cleaning the inside and putting some new thermal paste also helps. I have both ... The 6,1 I can use without open core and install Monterey. Only thing is I can't get the universal control to work right for me for this unsupported Mac.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
I recall hearing about Universal control initially and that it is a feature that supposedly existed as a 3rd party utility before Apple's 'official' implementation. I've not really had a need for it so never followed up but is that correct and perhaps a solution to the issue at hand?

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Just get one that still has AppleCare+ and not worry about it. Use iStat Menus to set the fan rules.

ironmanny1

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
I recall hearing about Universal control initially and that it is a feature that supposedly existed as a 3rd party utility before Apple's 'official' implementation. I've not really had a need for it so never followed up but is that correct and perhaps a solution to the issue at hand?
Yup, I have used synergy , didn't like it, I am currently use Logitech flow to do what I need. Beside this nuisance, the Mac Pro 6,1 is still a great machine for my needs.

Reactions: th0masp

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
We are still running six D700s and four D500s.
Most in Big Sur/Monterey/HS and topped off at 64GB RAM.
The D500s mostly work with the graphics team (Adobe InDesign, PS, AI, Acrobat...) and the D700s some run Avid MC/ Pro Tools (HDX), Resolve, all Adobe, Maya, and of course FCPX.
I tend to reformat these at least once a year to a new OS.
The last remaining High Sierra D700 is running Avid MC/Pro Tools and will need to be updated.
I am confident it'll work. These are almost 10 years old.
I've replaced three Dell/HP monsters (Maya/Resolve) during the tubes tenure.
I think these will run for another 5 to 10 years but we tend to get rid of clutter since a few 2019s have been installed and now I'm looking at the miniStudio :)

Reactions: iAssimilated
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.