Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
I've been wanting to get a new watch, but I wanted to wait for the Series X/10 this year. However, my current Series 5 has pretty bad battery life right now and it's only getting worse. I also rely on it a lot and it's just become more and more irritating (I really need a larger screen model). I found a great deal on a series 9, 45mm, Cellular, aluminum for ~$350. Would it be a good idea to get this, or wait for the 10?

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
The rumors about Series 10 have been all over the place. They range from a complete redesign with a new strap connector to only a minor update because the new technologies Apple wants to add to the watch won't be ready yet. So, it's hard to know if the 10 is really worth waiting for. Are you going to use the cellular feature if you purchase that series 9? If not, that price is not much of a discount over the base model.

Another option would be to do a battery replacement on your series 5 (~$80 I think) and wait for the new model.

Reactions: arc of the universe

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'm waiting for the S10 to replace my S6. Just got the S6 swapped due to battery below 80% (free with AppleCare+) so it'll do fine until the S10 comes out.

If you're comfortable with the S5 and the battery is literally below 80% capacity (you can see on the watch - Settings > Battery > Battery Health > Maximum Capacity) then I'd certainly consider doing battery service. They just swap it for a whole new watch so you'd be good to go for the ~8 months until the S10 comes out, and at that point you can sell it for easily what the battery cost you so ultimately it won't cost you anything out of pocket.

pr1nce

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2015
I was in the same situation a few months ago with my AW Series 5. I took it to Apple for a battery replacement it cost $100. Then a couple days later I received a new Series 5 with 100% battery health.

Reactions: shakopeemn

toughkitty5

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2011
I would wait for a series 10. just set AOD off on your series 5 for now for saving battery.

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
I have already done a battery replacement once, about a year ago. I'm back to the same state it was then. Also, it's too late y'all, I already bought it.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I've got many watch bands that I love so I am all in on the series 9. I believe the series 10 will be a major redesign so I am happy to have the fully matured version of AW for years to come with my band collection.

Reactions: ZebraDude

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
The way I see it, especially with Apple, is products are released so that you’ll always be trying to buy the newest item. Buy one now, the next one will just get released. Essentially, if you wait you’ll always be waiting for the next one also. If you need a watch, get the one closest to what fits your needs. I’m a traditional watch wearer and the AWU2 (pre-disabled) was my first smart watch. I went with that because I ride motorcycles, work with my hands, etc and don’t want to care too much about not being overly gentle. Myself, the reason I got the watch is two major things…the silent alarm is a godsend for me because I’m one of those people who always wake up before the alarm because the sound of being suddenly awoken isn’t very nice. I’ve slept sooooo much better these days since I’m not waking up multiple times a night. My other reason is I often ride my motorcycle in areas where nobody is around. Lord forbid something happens, the watch is there to aid in things. I say if the 9 fits the bill, get the series 9!

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
I’ll wear my S9 on my left wrist, and if AW Ultra S10 comes that will find a home on my right wrist. Sister did not want my S9 and I don’t want to be bothered with selling a watch Since Applecare is good for another 22 months.

Tom

• Wow
Reactions: ZebraDude

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I've been wanting to get a new watch, but I wanted to wait for the Series X/10 this year. However, my current Series 5 has pretty bad battery life right now and it's only getting worse. I also rely on it a lot and it's just become more and more irritating (I really need a larger screen model). I found a great deal on a series 9, 45mm, Cellular, aluminum for ~$350. Would it be a good idea to get this, or wait for the 10?
If you need it then it’s a good idea. Personally I would never wait months for the next model on the off chance it might be better. You miss out on those months enjoying your S9.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
I’ll wear my S9 on my left wrist, and if AW Ultra S10 comes that will find a home on my right wrist. Sister did not want my S9 and I don’t want to be bothered with selling a watch Since Applecare is good for another 22 months.

Tom

That would actually make it more interesting and valuable to a prospective buyer! Even if it has 14 months left come September.

AC is transferable, IIRC, if it's the original multi-year plan. Switch to renewable, say monthly, and AC is no longer transferable. At least, that’s what happened with a Mac I recently owned; again IIRC. Read the AC fine print for your device.

But weighed against all tha that is the hassle of selling it. But maybe a family member or friend would be interested.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
That would actually make it more interesting and valuable to a prospective buyer! Even if it has 14 months left come September.

AC is transferable, IIRC, if it's the original multi-year plan. Switch to renewable, say monthly, and AC is no longer transferable. At least, that’s what happened with a Mac I recently owned; again IIRC. Read the AC fine print for your device.

But weighed against all tha that is the hassle of selling it. But maybe a family member or friend would be interested.
I tried gifting it to my sister, but it would just sit in a drawer gathering dust, like the Microsoft Surface Go and Samsung Galaxy 3 I gave her. I strongly suspect that the S20 Ultra I gave her is also occupying a comfy spot in the socks drawer.

She is firmly in Camp Garmin (nothing wrong with that) and if I would end up having to buy her an iPhone just to use the watch I’d keep the iPhone SE for myself and just wear 2 watches.

Literally since I moved half way across North America to escape my Covid infected family (everyone, 8 people in my direct family got it) b/c of a depressed immune system - I don’t know anyone.

Tom

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Just came across this and I’m having a similar struggle. My watch is fine, series 8 SS, but I was on the fence about going with the larger watch back when I bought it, and wound up going stainless instead (didn’t want the weight of a large stainless), but I am really wanting the larger watch. I’m trying to wait, but wondering if it’s worth waiting, and now I can’t get a 9 with the blood oxygen sensor, so I’m kinda stuck.

I love my ss, but I’m going larger because I really struggle with trying to do anything on the small screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.