Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask you guys I have a JBL Soundbar Airplay Speaker but it only uses Airplay-1 and and I also have the HomePods paired in Stereo which I a lot of times use it with my Apple TV, now the problem here despite having 3 Airplay Speakers I can only either use the JBL Airplay speaker separately or Play the HomePods as my TV Speakers but I cannot play all of them at he same time as the HomePods are Airplay-2 enabled speakers and my JBL is Airplay-1.

So I wanted to ask you in today’s time where the Airport Express has long been discontinued and the Belkin Soundform Connect Airplay-2 Adapter is a much recent technological invention and production. Does it now make sense to buy Airport Express ? which has been Discontinued for so many years now and invest in an old technology ? or should I buy and does it make sense to buy the recent generation, current technology Belkin Soundform Connect Airplay-2 Adapter. I am sure some would say both work, but I am saying in terms of Support, Longevity and Technical Support stand Point what does it make sense ? To go for AirPort Express or the Belkin Soundform Connect Airplay-2 Adapter ?

Please advise ?

TIA

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Airport Expresses are my choice for whole house audio. I find them infinitely more reliable than Airplay 2. The DAC's are decent. Think of investing in something that works. Yes, that may be obsolete in concept as well as tech, but it’s not obsolete in terms of achieving objectives.

porican

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2016
The latest firmware for the Airport Express supports Airplay 2 FYI. It's very stable on the 5Ghz band, less so on the 2.4Ghz band.

They're easy to find cheap on eBay ($40 or less), and extremely durable. Since they support Airplay 2, even though they're discontinued they support Apple’s current generation of wireless audio tech. Definitely worth it!

I have not had great luck with Belkin peripherals so I cannot recommend it. The Airport Express is a workhorse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.