Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxmaxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2019
Should I buy my first Macbook pro? Is this worth it? 2018 MBP 15 inch
renderTimingPixel.png

2018 MacBook Pro 15 inch i7 2.6 with 560x graphics card.

I have an option to buy this model for $1800 open box at Best Buy , and it retails for $2800. It’s a “good” deal from that standpoint, but is it actually worth it for that price considering everything else that’s out there (matebook pro for example ) ? That’s still $1800 and the performance I’m getting is good but I feel like for the price there could be better options.

Can anyone advise me? I have never owned a MacBook before either. My laptop currently is a Lenovo think pad from 2014 that’s dying.

Thank you

pdxmaxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2019
The deal expires tomorrow so please let me know asap!

*time sensitive issues and compulsive purchases are terrible!!... haha

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
The deal expires tomorrow so please let me know asap!

*time sensitive issues and compulsive purchases are terrible!!... haha

Speaking from personal experience...
As a current owner of a 2018 15" MBP, I can say, if I could do it over, I would not buy one again. I'm done with Apple. They've lost me as a customer.

But that's just me.
If I were in your position, I'd hold out for a redesigned keyboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdxmaxx

pdxmaxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2019
As a current owner of a 2018 15" MBP, I can say, if I could do it over, I would not buy one again. I'm done with Apple. They've lost me as a customer.

I appreciate your insight, but could you please provide a little more detail? I see that you currently own the beefed up 2018 MBP. What has made you regret your decision? Would you mind suggesting a better alternative if you have one?

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
I appreciate your insight, but could you please provide a little more detail? I see that you currently own the beefed up 2018 MBP. What has made you regret your decision? Would you mind suggesting a better alternative if you have one?
Go look up my other posts about the display problems I've had.

Then go do a search on keyboard problems.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
2018 MacBook Pro 15 inch i7 2.6 with 560x graphics card.

I have an option to buy this model for $1800 open box at Best Buy

IMHO that's a very good deal - but it would help to know the size of the SSD storage - if it is 512g that is a very good deal

If the SSD is less than that ? - be aware you cannot upgrade the storage - it is soldered to the main board and not replaceable

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
An open box price this low makes me think it will show significant signs of use and possibly be a display model. I don't know what condition it's listed in, or if you've seen it yourself, but I wouldn't buy a display unit.

pdxmaxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2019
IMHO that's a very good deal - but it would help to know the size of the SSD storage - if it is 512g that is a very good deal

If the SSD is less than that ? - be aware you cannot upgrade the storage - it is soldered to the main board and not replaceable

It is a 512G SSD. hmm, so you agree that for the price this is as good as it gets considering what I get and the other brands available?
[doublepost=1556599972][/doublepost]
An open box price this low makes me think it will show significant signs of use and possibly be a display model. I don't know what condition it's listed in, or if you've seen it yourself, but I wouldn't buy a display unit.

It is a return and not a display model. There is literally one scratch on the apple sign in the back, but other then that, it looks flawless.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
It is a 512G SSD. hmm, so you agree that for the price this is as good as it gets considering what I get and the other brands available?
[doublepost=1556599972][/doublepost]

It is a return and not a display model. There is literally one scratch on the apple sign in the back, but other then that, it looks flawless.
Were you able to turn the unit on and test it out any further? It's definitely a good price.

pdxmaxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2019
Were you able to turn the unit on and test it out any further? It's definitely a good price.

Yes, the store rep showed me through the system settings that it had 5 battery cycle usages, although i don't know if that resets every-time the mac is reset cause the previous owner reset it. He also told me that everything seems to work just as new, aside from the scratch on the silver apple logo in the back. he said that he was shocked that it is priced so low considering it only has a small cosmetic scratch. I just don't know MacBooks well enough to justify if this is a good laptop for the price, because I know from experience that anything that has the brand name apple on it has a hefty "apple tax" and I want to make sure I am getting a good value for my price. I do not necessarily care that it is an "apple" product, but I need a pretty strong laptop to use as my accounting programs are quite taxing and as I said my lenovo is pretty much dead.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Yes, the store rep showed me through the system settings that it had 5 battery cycle usages, although i don't know if that resets every-time the mac is reset cause the previous owner reset it.

FWIW - you can't reset the battery cycle - that is a very good price for a 512g ssd and all the other specs i7 processor etc.

you can check on ebay - there are used 2018 MBP's for more $$ than that

make sure you turn it on and check the screen for any display issues etc

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Go look up my other posts about the display problems I've had.

Then go do a search on keyboard problems.
I thought the keyboard issue was resolved for 2018. I have a 2011 MBA. I was ready to purchase a 2017 MBP, until I hear of the keyboard issues. I almost purchase a 2018 MBP-TB, but figured, I could hold out for the 2019. Hoping this year is a redesign, but with redesign, comes new issues. Sigh, guess I'll surprise myself when I finally make the decision to buy.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
You got a killer deal for that model, especially with the AppleCare+ and tax. Pretty hard to beat.

If you want some peace of mind regarding the keyboard issues people have reported, get this keyboard cover. I have one and don't even realize it's there when I'm typing. In reality, I think most MacBook Pro owners don't have problems with the keyboard, and the 2018 models have some modifications to keep debris out, but if you want to err on the side of caution get one.

Enjoy your new Mac!

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
I thought the keyboard issue was resolved for 2018. I have a 2011 MBA. I was ready to purchase a 2017 MBP, until I hear of the keyboard issues. I almost purchase a 2018 MBP-TB, but figured, I could hold out for the 2019. Hoping this year is a redesign, but with redesign, comes new issues. Sigh, guess I'll surprise myself when I finally make the decision to buy.

Hmmm, people who think so are in denial.
Need a recent example? Look here;
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gen-3-butterfly-keyboard.2127111/page-78#post-27323917

Reactions: SDColorado

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
I've owned 5 macs, and 4 of them were MacBook Pros. My current mac is a 2018 13 inch MacBook Pro. All of mine have had excellent build quality for the most part and they hold their resale value much longer than other laptops. I haven't had issues with my keyboard on my current MacBook Pro (thankfully) but I'm very careful to prevent dust and other little particles from getting under the keys.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands

But that's just me.
If I were in your position, I'd hold out for a redesigned keyboard.

Yet you're still posting on an Apple forum. kinda sad.

Ontopic: 1800 bucks or 2/3rd the price for a NEW laptop that's got atleast one year warranty on it, is actually a great deal! That's about the price they go for on the used market. (around €1600,- here in EU)
[doublepost=1556988340][/doublepost]
Took the chance and purchased it with Applecare+! I hope everything works out well.

I appreciate all of your feedback!

GetAttachmentThumbnail

great deal! I wouldn't regret it for a second!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.