Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powermac99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
I'm planning to upgrade to either a 2 GHz G5 or a 15" PB, anyone have any thoughts on the issue?

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
I could assume portability means nothing to you, and vote A.

I could assume portability means everything to you, and vote B.

I'm sorry for posting "something else," but I don't think that's the best way to decide such a big purchase.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Yeah, with no info on what you'd want from the machine it's hard to say. Of course the DP2GHz G5 will p*ss all over a 1GHz G4 laptop, but if you want to edit on the move then the G5 would be useless!

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2003
LA
um...

This is not an A or B question.

Depends on what you are editing on now. What system? What kind of content are you editing?

Editing video on a laptop is not ideal yet unless you HAVE to be away from your main system. Offline and DV will be okay, but it is not ideal as a primary system. If you need to render anything, do any titling, or work with any uncompressed media you will want a desktop based system.

FCP 4 runs really well on a Dual 1.25 G4 so maybe you could get one of those, save some cash, and then get a powerbook in 6 months or so.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Get the G5. The PowerBooks, even the new ones (whenever they come out), won't be much faster than what you have now. I know as a video editor, speed counts, so the desktop would be the best, and the 'Book you have will suit your needs for a while.

Have you considered selling them both? Or is that how you're getting the money for the new computer? A little more info would help.

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2003
LA
a man of few words

Originally posted by powermac99
I've decided to get the G5.

Well that was an interesting exercise. You have 2 very new computers (The fastest G4 available and a very effcient notebook) and you can't decide what to buy next?!?!?!?!

Being in the Post Production industry myself, I find it hard to believe that you are a professional video editor. You can't come up with any criteria for why you would need new gear? The rest of us rely on our gear for a living and make educated purchasing decisions based on very specific needs.

At any rate, you are either full of s**t or you must have a lot of expendable cash.

But in case you don't, I think it would be in your best interest to wait until the beginning of next year. The G5 PowerMacs will be using faster processors, there will be a better indication of when a g5 Powerbook will be arriving, your current computers will still be really fast, and will maintain considerable trade in value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.