Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
So I was trying to wait for the next gen processor but from what I can tell it will prob be delayed. I have money now for a new MBP. I would basically max it out 64gb ram 1-2tb hard drive and 8gb graphics card. Right now I am using the 2016 late model mbp quad core i7. From what I read it seems like a drastic speed increase.

Questions?
When is the 2020 model suppose to come out?
Will I notice a big difference in Lightroom and Photoshop?
Will probably get into some video editing.

iandk

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
I suspect it will be late 2020.
I'll probably get some sort of stopgap to serve until the next generation is released.
I hope it will have a better display

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Honestly the issue is not the CPU but the GPU.

5300M and 5500M are pretty good cards but whenever we can get anything with RDNA 2 inside these machines I'd say to get that at this stage.

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
And when’s that ? I’m willing to way a few months but I mean I think this computer is 80 percent faster than the 2016 I have . What will the diff in graphics be if I wait ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
When is the 2020 model suppose to come out?
No one knows, people are hoping that WWDC will have an announcement, but if they do roll out an update, its going to be a spec bump, nothing else. I don't think they'll reserve time at WWDC just to announce the 16" MBP is now using 10th gen intel cpus.

Between 2016 and the 16" I'm sure you will but will it be worth the cost - that's the question. I can't answer that, the 16" has a faster processor, better GPU, and a keyboard that won't fail on you, but there are also downsides, like ghosting, the kernel panics, and if you use an external monitor.

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
it should be at least 90 percent faster than what I have... I keep almost pressing the buy button. I am mainly worried about the size compared to my 15. Is it still comfortable on the lap?

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009

If your old machine is working - why should you spend such a lot of money for a machine with glued battery an non replaceable ssd.
You do not know how the new MBP is working. My maxed out i9 2018 died after 1 3/4 year.
If you only need it for Lightroom and Photoshop, by a Dell XPS it is nice and fast and you are able to replace ssd/memory/battery. Btw. service at Dell is also much much better

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
If your old machine is working - why should you spend such a lot of money for a machine with glued battery an non replaceable ssd.
You do not know how the new MBP is working. My maxed out i9 2018 died after 1 3/4 year.
If you only need it for Lightroom and Photoshop, by a Dell XPS it is nice and fast and you are able to replace ssd/memory/battery. Btw. service at Dell is also much much better
did you not have apple care? I have never had a MacBook die?

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
did you not have apple care? I have never had a MacBook die?

Yes I have apple care - but it is now week 3 without MBP.
The expensive MBP is not worth the hassle.
It is my second MB with swollen batteries ( the other one was a 2009 MBAir ).

Dell and Lenovo deliver much better service and you are able to kepp the ssd and insert it into a new laptop/pc.

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
I have the exact opposite experience. I have a dead Dell XPS 15" and I have no motivation to spend any money to repair it. Never had a Mac die on me.

Thats interesting as far as I know Dell delivers next day onsite service for 3 years.
3 years ago they did it on my site - the technician exchanged the mainboard (xps 15).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.