Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VTGuy79

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2023
I have a huge collection of wallpapers. I'm use both Windows and MacOS. I'm trying to get everything organized and searchable. I have them organized by folders.

Wallpaper
--Simple
--Vector Style
--Inspirational
--Space

I want to get more detailed for when I want to find something quickly. I thought about adding structured keywords like I do with my photographs, however, I but found out that you can't add keywords to PNG files, only JPG. I'd like to add multiple keywords.

Should I.....
  1. Do I mass convert PNG to JPG without quality loss?
  2. Use a structured file name system? keyword-nameoffile.ext

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
My advice is to do neither.

[1] converts all your lossless PNG images to lossy JPG ones (which means you will lose quality: there is no way to convert to JPG without data loss).

[2] is a terrible inefficient method to deal with keyword tagging. Never use file management to add what is in fact meta data, i.e. extra information about (image) files.

[3] organizing your images by folders is fine, but what if a certain image is both simple AND inspirational? Right, you have a problem. Create a duplicate in both folders? Create a shortcut/link to either one? Again, file management is not the right solution to tag files with meta data / for meaningful organizing.

Instead, use a DAM of some sort instead of relying on Finder or File Explorer.

It is actually possible to tag PNG files (and other lossless file formats such as tiff, webp, and avif files) with XMP meta data and keywords. That requires a DAM (Digital Asset Management) tool.

I would suggest that you install Adobe Bridge, which is a free download from Adobe. That is simple to use and it is easy to add keywords to your files and quickly assign them as well to groups of images. Or declare which pictures are your favourites.

And with Collections images can be organized with a folder-like structure yet it doesn't affect the originals in their folders and keeps things nicely separated between your physical file management and meta file management.

Lastly, it is super quick to find images with particular tags, keywords, and compare images.

The only drawback is having to install the Creative Cloud app as well. But it remains a free option.

(If you do dislike having to install CC, it is possible to get the installer by contacting Adobe support: https://prodesigntools.com/creative-cloud-2023-direct-download-links.html)

Reactions: VTGuy79

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
When you say, "adding structured keywords," are you referring to adding a "tag" to a file in Finder, or are you referring to using another app to add these keywords to the photos? Because in Finder, you can add tags to JPG or PNG files.

VTGuy79

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2023
My advice is to do neither.

[1] converts all your lossless PNG images to lossy JPG ones (which means you will lose quality: there is no way to convert to JPG without data loss).

[2] is a terrible inefficient method to deal with keyword tagging. Never use file management to add what is in fact meta data, i.e. extra information about (image) files.

[3] organizing your images by folders is fine, but what if a certain image is both simple AND inspirational? Right, you have a problem. Create a duplicate in both folders? Create a shortcut/link to either one? Again, file management is not the right solution to tag files with meta data / for meaningful organizing.

Instead, use a DAM of some sort instead of relying on Finder or File Explorer.

It is actually possible to tag PNG files (and other lossless file formats such as tiff, webp, and avif files) with XMP meta data and keywords. That requires a DAM (Digital Asset Management) tool.

I would suggest that you install Adobe Bridge, which is a free download from Adobe. That is simple to use and it is easy to add keywords to your files and quickly assign them as well to groups of images. Or declare which pictures are your favourites.

And with Collections images can be organized with a folder-like structure yet it doesn't affect the originals in their folders and keeps things nicely separated between your physical file management and meta file management.

Lastly, it is super quick to find images with particular tags, keywords, and compare images.

The only drawback is having to install the Creative Cloud app as well. But it remains a free option.

(If you do dislike having to install CC, it is possible to get the installer by contacting Adobe support: https://prodesigntools.com/creative-cloud-2023-direct-download-links.html)
Thank you for your information. I ended starting with Lightroom Classic and then as your post came through, I thought, what about Bridge? I forgot about using that as what it's meant for, to manage images. It's great for adding keywords and it does it properly by adding it to the EXIF data. I'm just going to keep the JPG as JPG and PNG as PNG.

I'm still going to use a few folders to organize based on style of wallpapers but add keywords to all if I need to search for something like inspirational and mobile or fields or mobile.

Reactions: Herbert123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.