Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
I have a MBP that I purchased the 11th of March. It doesn't have the screen buzz but it does have the MBP whine that everyone (almost) has experienced. Its been having more and more issues of late tho. It gets extremely hot (I've seen CPU Temps of 82 Degrees C, and it melted the rubber/plastic bedding the the MagSafe connector seats into when its plugged in, the part that stops the magnet from touching the bare metal on the case. Also I am on my second powercord, the glue on the sleeve that reinforces the cable to connector connection near the back edge of the connector has been melted away so that without even the slightest tug the wire comes out of the connector, exposing bare metal. I've been given decent sized red marks on my hands from resting them on the keyboard while using it. Anyway, I know that everyone has had these problems, but one night while I was sleeping I heard this god-awful grinding noise from inside my MBP. It was on, on my desk across from my bed. I got up and shut it down but the grinding noises continued. I was in too much of a sleepy daze to realize that it was probably the fan so I ripped out the battery, unplugged it and went back to sleep. Just yesterday the bluetooth had a funny symbol on it on the bar the top of the screen. I click the BT symbol to see what was up and the normal menu had nothing but a ghosted "Bluetooth: Not Available" in it. I called up Apple to find out what the hell was up and they said that the BT had probably failed due to HEAT!!!! Should I just demand a replacment. I'm a college student I can't really live without my laptop. Thanks in advance for any advice.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Why ask us? Ultimately regardless of what we say it lies with your aggressiveness over the phone and whether Apple is cowed by your aggression. What we say plays no part in it.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
generik said:
Why ask us? Ultimately regardless of what we say it lies with your aggressiveness over the phone and whether Apple is cowed by your aggression. What we say plays no part in it.
Well to be honest I should have titled it "What would you do, and what to you think the likeliness of apple caving is?" But it was a little long... Thanks for inadvertent advice tho (tenacity, aggression, tenacity, aggression...)

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
The solution seems obvious. Apple already has acknowledged that you can have your MBP serviced for the whine which typically also fixes the excess heat. My right side fan was making a horrible noise as well. And I also had the issues of the bare wires showing from the magsafe.

Here's what I did. Called AppleCare, politely told them about the whine and fan noise. The rep gladly sent me a box and assured that my problems would be looked at. And one week later, I received back a whine-less and cooler mbp.
The fan hasn't ben replaced, but someho it no longer buzzes and makes noises. As for the magsafe, I just super glued the end of sleeve to the magsafe and all is good.

The problems could be irritating, but Apple imo takes care of its customers if you take care of them. Just be patient w/ your rep and you'll be fine.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Just to let you know I rang Apple about the heat issue they gave me a case number and told me to take it to the Apple repair centre. Might do that tomorrow see what they say

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
No, no Apple Store.

Never never never tell AppleCare about the excess heat because they are obligated to say it's "within" spec" and you not likely get that looked at. The Apple Store will say the same if not worse by telling u to call AppleCare back. Unless you have the whine issue, I see no other way of alleviating the excess heat unless you open it up urself and fix it yourself. :(

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
n8236 said:
No, no Apple Store.

Never never never tell AppleCare about the excess heat because they are obligated to say it's "within" spec" and you not likely get that looked at. The Apple Store will say the same if not worse by telling u to call AppleCare back. Unless you have the whine issue, I see no other way of alleviating the excess heat unless you open it up urself and fix it yourself. :(

Well I don't know this lady seemed quite sympathetic with me and said that it should not be occuring and she made a case number for me and everything and said to take it down to the apple repair centre to check it out

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
viccles said:
Well I don't know this lady seemed quite sympathetic with me and said that it should not be occuring and she made a case number for me and everything and said to take it down to the apple repair centre to check it out

I;m in the market for a new apple notebook so I am VERY interested to see what they say about this when you go to the apple store with the case #. That is so ridiculous. The heat issue is simply amazing. Apple should have done something to correct this a long time ago. Cords melting, burning hands, does the notebook have to burn down a few houses before they correct this heat issue or what??:mad:

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
JMies419 said:
I;m in the market for a new apple notebook so I am VERY interested to see what they say about this when you go to the apple store with the case #. That is so ridiculous. The heat issue is simply amazing. Apple should have done something to correct this a long time ago. Cords melting, burning hands, does the notebook have to burn down a few houses before they correct this heat issue or what??:mad:

They probably would if one of those houses got a baby in it and they got pinged for hundreds of millions, else it would probably be cheaper for them to just pretend nothing ever happened.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
generik said:
They probably would if one of those houses got a baby in it and they got pinged for hundreds of millions, else it would probably be cheaper for them to just pretend nothing ever happened.

Well tomorrow I'm going to demand they fix/replace it hey I can try huh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.