Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I fix it myself or sell it as is?

• Fix it

• Sell it as is

Results are only viewable after voting.

allener

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2017
My macbook pro broke a while ago and we took it into the apple store and they said that there was something wrong with the part that charged it but i would be really expensive to fix. So should i sell as is or fix it my self then sell it? What would i get the most out of it for and is it worth it to fix it myself?

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Do you have more specifics on the problem and the specific part needed?

The 2011 is now considered vintage, and they have a lower resale value because they suffer from a serious design defect with the GPU, which can render the computer inoperable. Depending upon the issue, you may need to remove the logic board from the computer - it's doable, but a slow process, and one where something can easily go wrong. Further, since the computer is now vintage, Apple might not sell you the part depending on what it is. So then you would have to find the part from a third party seller, and inexpensive used logic boards start at around $450, which is more than the value of the computer in its current condition (and new is often much, much higher.)

allener

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2017
Do you have more specifics on the problem and the specific part needed?

The 2011 is now considered vintage, and they have a lower resale value because they suffer from a serious design defect with the GPU, which can render the computer inoperable. Depending upon the issue, you may need to remove the logic board from the computer - it's doable, but a slow process, and one where something can easily go wrong. Further, since the computer is now vintage, Apple might not sell you the part depending on what it is. So then you would have to find the part from a third party seller, and inexpensive used logic boards start at around $450, which is more than the value of the computer in its current condition (and new is often much, much higher.)
My MacBook is a 2.3 ghz CPU 1 tb sshd and 16 gb ram. Sorry it's been a while since the appointment it's having to do with the charging port and how it won't allow the charger to charge the MacBook. Do you think it's worth it to repair it or should I sell it and at what price if I do?
P.S. thank you so much for responding.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
I just looked on iFixit, and found this:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...rly+2011+MagSafe+DC-In+Board+Replacement/5922

(I may be wrong regarding to the model of your MBP, please check before going further into this repair guide; also I cannot be sure this is exactly the issue of your computer, I am just guessing from your description).

It seems you upgraded this laptop quite well. If it is in good shape except for this, if you would like to keep using it and if you feel comfortable taking it apart yourself, I would give it a try (with a $25 part plus some tools, it may be a cheap repair extending its useful life quite a bit... but it may also not work in the end ---and there is also this GPU issue mentioned in the above post).

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
My MacBook is a 2.3 ghz CPU 1 tb sshd and 16 gb ram. Sorry it's been a while since the appointment it's having to do with the charging port and how it won't allow the charger to charge the MacBook. Do you think it's worth it to repair it or should I sell it and at what price if I do?
P.S. thank you so much for responding.

I do not think you have the option of getting Apple to repair it, since they have stopped supporting your computer since your last visit.

Do you know what the specifics are in regards to the part needed? If it needs a logic board replacement, Apple will no longer service the computer, and you would likely be limited to used parts on a system that is prone to failure. You could easily spend more on a repair than you would to purchase a working used MBP from roughly the same era.

The value would depend on what part needs to be replaced. If your logic board is what needs to be replaced, you could probably get $150-250 for it, depending on the condition of the screen, body, and cords, as the logic board is the most expensive part. If the logic board is functional and the defective part is something else, you could probably get quite a bit more.

It may be worth going to an Apple Authorized Repair provider, having them determine exactly which part is needed, how much it would cost, and if they can even still do this given it is a vintage system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.