Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T-bag

Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Good day all! I need your help with a decision (again) :).

Having changed to a 17" MBP recently, from a 13", I'm in the market for something smaller as a secondary unit.

Something about me and my computing-needs
I'm an engineering student. I don't like dragging a 17" to school very often, but I do like to be able to check the web at campus when I please. I use the old pencil and paper for note-taking whenever possible. I also like watching movies and such when traveling.

The idea is to keep this unit in my bag at all times, bringing it with me instead of the 17" when I can.

The iPad IS nice, I had the first generation for a couple of weeks before the iPad 2 launched, but returned it to get the iPad 2 (or as of now, maybe a netbook). The main reason I'm considering a netbook is the price. I'll save roughly 180$ if I buy a Asus Eee 1015PEM. I don't wanna spend more money on this unit than the cost of the 16GB iPad 2.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=4Bf6sc0o5FMGABzh

I figure both units can do the same (the netbook a little more), and since I already have an iPhone 4 - why even considering an iPad 2? If my reasoning has any flaws, please correct me before I make a mistake here.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
iPad is even smaller and maybe a bit quicker to use (take out of the bag, and it's ready to operate immediately, even faster than laptop's sleep mode). You get 10 times more storage with the ASUS so if that is important at all, the netbook will be better. 16GB isn't that much if you want to have movies in it.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I work in engineering and prefer to lug my iPad than to lug any computer. My netbook has been collecting dust since April 3, 2010. However YMMV. If you want to run "real apps", you are better off with a netbook. If you want portability and ease of use over a variety of postures, iPad is for you. If you want portability and OS X, I suggest you take a look at the 11 inch MBA. While I know it's heavier and larger, the 11 inch MBA "feels" the same as my iPad 1. I wouldn't bother with Asus or Acer or HP or any other netbook unless Ubuntu or Windows 7 meets your needs.

I often use my iPad to control my Mac and it saves me 2 flights of stairs. If I want to, I can pair a BT keyboard with my iPad but I don't bother.

hope this helps...

T-bag

Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
iPad is even smaller and maybe a bit quicker to use (take out of the bag, and it's ready to operate immediately, even faster than laptop's sleep mode). You get 10 times more storage with the ASUS so if that is important at all, the netbook will be better. 16GB isn't that much if you want to have movies in it.

I don't see the 16GB size as a major issue yet. With a quad cpu in my mac it wont take ages to load it with a couple of videofiles. I just havent decided if I want to have a "independent" unit or not (iPad).

I work in engineering and prefer to lug my iPad than to lug any computer. My netbook has been collecting dust since April 3, 2010. However YMMV. If you want to run "real apps", you are better off with a netbook. If you want portability and ease of use over a variety of postures, iPad is for you. If you want portability and OS X, I suggest you take a look at the 11 inch MBA. While I know it's heavier and larger, the 11 inch MBA "feels" the same as my iPad 1. I wouldn't bother with Asus or Acer or HP or any other netbook unless Ubuntu or Windows 7 meets your needs.

I often use my iPad to control my Mac and it saves me 2 flights of stairs. If I want to, I can pair a BT keyboard with my iPad but I don't bother.

hope this helps...

I find the 11" MBA to be magnificent, and if I had the conscience to spend that kind of money after just getting a 17" sandy bridge, I would. But for my current needs I don't think so. The 17" isn't THAT immobile. :)

But I don't know. The netbooks seams to be so much more affordable and versatile. Guess I just want everyone to say they love netbooks for this kind of stuff so I can save some money. :p I feel a little overwhelmed with apple products nowadays, maybe I'm starting to get a little rebellious. :rolleyes:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I carry around a 17" MBP every day. It's lighter than many 15" pc laptops.

I also have an iPad in the bag.

jamisonbaines

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2007
CA
if you're not craving an ipad get the netbook. that way you're covered on anything requiring windows in your course work and being as you have the mbp you'll be less inclined to play around on the netbook and simply use it for school.

i'd rather have a netbook with my itunes library to chill in the library than trying to type on an ipad while people look over my shoulder to see what im doing. i myself wish i had spare cash for an ipad but for the situation, if i were you, id get the netbook.

T-bag

Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
I carry around a 17" MBP every day. It's lighter than many 15" pc laptops.

I also have an iPad in the bag.

I agree, it's not too heavy at all. The size is a little more problematic though. On busses and planes, in classrooms with small desks etc. Which is why I want this kind of device in the first place. It's also a way of "saving" my MBP, not being afraid to lose it at school, wear it out etc.

if you're not craving an ipad get the netbook. that way you're covered on anything requiring windows in your course work and being as you have the mbp you'll be less inclined to play around on the netbook and simply use it for school.

i'd rather have a netbook with my itunes library to chill in the library than trying to type on an ipad while people look over my shoulder to see what im doing. i myself wish i had spare cash for an ipad but for the situation, if i were you, id get the netbook.

Good point. The iPad would probably also take a bigger role (on the couch, bed etc.) which I'm actually trying to avoid. I'm just worried about the surfing experience on the netbook. I know it's cramped. I can afford the iPad, but I don't know if I want to spend that much when it easily can be avoided. The luxury and speed of the iPad is tempting though.

Damn I have serious decision issues. Thanks to all so far.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Definitely go with the iPad. I got rid of my netbook as soon as I could get an iPad. It's great for getting online at school, taking notes with a BT keyboard, and just playing around with on the couch (I have an iMac as my main computer).

T-bag

Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
I think you're right. I'll just bring my 17" when the iPad comes short. I want to be happy with a netbook, but I guess I kind of know already that I wouldn't be.

My debit card will need a brake after this.

Thanks all. I consider this solved now. :)

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
It all depends on your usage: screen, input, and I/O needs. I personally had an a netbook to complement my 20" iMac. I hated the netbook so much that in less than a year, I sold it and bought a used 15" 2006 MBP. I liked the MBP so much that I sold it and the iMac recently to upgrade to a newer 15" Unibody MBP. To compliment it, I plan on getting an iPad 2, since my more portable needs around the house and traveling (personal trips) are somewhat doable with my iPhone 4 but could be better with an iPad. For the times that I need my MBP, I actually need real computing power with a full compliment of I/O capability. I was tempted to get a current generation Air, but the 15" display of my MBP is big enough to be useful for me in the field without being too big to be portable.

T-bag

Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
I had one of those linux acer aspire one netbooks when the formfactor was new. Think it was 8-9" or so. I ended up hating it too. Had it for such a short period of time (2-3 days) that I almost didn't realize I have had one before. Haha. iPad 2 it is. :)

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Access your MBP from your iPad

If you want to have access to apps on your MBP, you can also get one of the iPad apps to allow you remote access.

You can then keep track of your MBP's computations on the answer to life, the Universe and everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.