Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barnett25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
I am considering purchasing a Newton 2X00 and was looking for some advice from other newton owners.

1. Is it fairly easy to set up wirless internet on a newton?

2. Can the newton display regular web pages (like this one)?

3. Given that I could purchase a new PDA for the same price as a used newton, what (if anything) is better about the newton?

barnett25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
vollspacken said:
what exactly are you planning to do with it?

vSpacken

Well, I definately want to use it to keep my schedule, write down assignments and the occasional note or two. I would like to be able to wirelessly access my email and maybe play a few mp3s.

Forced Perfect

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
Wireless is easy. Simply go to http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm to download the driver for most wireless cards.

The pages doesn't seem to be updated anymore, so I'm not sure about registering the driver. There could be other ones out there, too.

You can surf on the 2x00's with little problem.

But as far as I know, frames, any form of Java, JPEGs or anything else fancy won't work.

GIFs will work, but are of course, drawn in grayscale.

Yes, I have over 30 Newtons and over 18 types of New Newton Items, I bought one Newton 110 in 1999 and have bought and sold them ever since, great little (little or at least for then:). They are the Best I have some great collecters Newtons to and Use them on a day to day basis. Start out by buying a 1XX one (I.E. 100, 110, 120, or my faverite the 130). I have some with a Clear case and there very cool.

Or for 2X00 you can get cheap wireless cards and do fun games and more, I don;t think the web pages will look like this though.
Try some of the following:

eBay
GemEnterpises
or my site macsruscomputers.com

Also Apple just Pannteted a PDA divice we can hope for a Newton:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.