Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
Hi,

I used to have a linksys router but my brother moved out and he took the router cause he needed it.

So right now i connect my cable modem directly to my Powerbook.

I was just wondering, is the Firewall on Mac OS X 10.4 good enough for blocking ports or should i get a linksys router?

Thanks.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I probably wouldn't buy a router purely for the benefit of having a hardware firewall.... You have airport on this powerbook, right? Have you considered an 802.11g router, or even an Airport Express? Now wireless, unlike getting a hardware firewall...wireless I cannot live without. :)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
mkrishnan said:
I probably wouldn't buy a router purely for the benefit of having a hardware firewall.... You have airport on this powerbook, right? Have you considered an 802.11g router, or even an Airport Express? Now wireless, unlike getting a hardware firewall...wireless I cannot live without. :)

I love taking my powerbook everywhere. Esp now that the weather is getting nicer, i go outside and go on MR

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You need to at least look at the manual before buying a router. Some (many?) of the firewalls in them are pretty much toys. I got mine because of it VOIP capabilities, but I don't use its firewall, except for its preconfigured attack countermeasures. All the port filtering, I do with the software firewall. If it were not for the VOIP, I would get something like a Cisco, which should be able to store many rules, and configured via a well documented command language.

mackaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
thanks for the replies, i dont mind the wires so i wont get a wireless router if its not necessary since i have no money atm.

Tupac Rules btw haha,

thanks again guys.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mackaveli said:
thanks for the replies, i dont mind the wires so i wont get a wireless router if its not necessary since i have no money atm.

Good luck! Assuming you do have an aiport card in your PB (since they come with them standard now, don't they?), if you ever do save a little cheese, then if you look on Dealnews, 802.11g routers can frequently be had for <$30. I'd think it'd be much better to do without until you have the extra $10 between a wired router and that, than spend $20 now and buy a wired router....

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
mkrishnan said:
I also can't help but observing that we now have MR users named both Mackavelli and Killuminati... Hmmm...interesting.... :D

Hmmm good observation, I dint even notice that.

I should get to know Mackavelli :p

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
killuminati said:
Hmmm good observation, I dint even notice that.

I should get to know Mackavelli :p

Yeah, you can be his PASS big brother...it'd be so cute. And then someday, when you guide him up to avatar status, find him a nice avatar... maybe a version of this always classic pic:

200px-2pac-diamond.jpeg

:)

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
mkrishnan said:
Yeah, you can be his PASS big brother...it'd be so cute. And then someday, when you guide him up to avatar status, find him a nice avatar... maybe a version of this always classic pic:

200px-2pac-diamond.jpeg

:)

Haha I just changed my avatar from that, about 10 minutes ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.