Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ag55

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Birthday coming up, i actually love my birthday as its right in the middle of the year which means a
balanced waiting time for each birthday, but also its lovely weather, great movies are coming out,
and i can look forward to E3 and WWDC!

At first i dismissed the iPad as i thought the features it was lacking were too important, and also
i thought my iPhone would be fine for that stuff.

But taking a second look, it seems perfect for me. I could find myself just sitting outside in the beautiful
weather, or slouching on my sofa using the iPad for some music, reading books, browsing the web, playing some games.

Should i go for it guys? What have your impressions been with your iPad so far?
Where is the cheapest place to get it in the UK, i have imported from US but that tax charge hurts

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Can we please stop these kind of threads?

It is getting annoying "Convince me to buy an iPad", "Why should I buy one?" - you either decide to buy one or not, and that's it.
We are not sales people here.

Please stop it.

Thanks !

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
yoda.jpg

"Use the search forums feature, you should."

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
An overgrown iPod touch for your birthday. That would suck.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Ohhhhhhhh my Gooooood.........I'm really getting tired of these posts. Go watch a YouTube review or something.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Yes Yes Yes, ooh Yes!!!

I just had a Thread-gasm

Another, "Should I Get An iPad" thread. This made my day, thank you a g55!!!

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
A "balanced waiting time for each birthday" unless you're different you have a birthday once a year, exactly the same as everyone else! :D

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
Honestly...it's an Apple forum....those of us here kinda like Apple...I'll give you one good guess as to what we'll say :) It depends on if you will get your money's worth, not what any of us other iPad owners think.

kungfumonkey

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
No.

You should wait until a Tuesday, around 12:30 Eastern Standard Time and buy APPL stock instead... Let everyone else do the buying.

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I could find myself just sitting outside in the beautiful
weather, or slouching on my sofa using the iPad for some music, reading books, browsing the web, playing some games.

Outside? Nah, screen hard to see, and they overheat in the sun with a warning to shut down.

In case someone else stumbles across this thread. If you spend any amount of time on the internet, reading email, tweeting, gaming, reading news. And, want a portable room to room to bed computer, get one.

If you think you are going to get one instead of ....

Wrong.

kungfumonkey

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
So I can use it anywhere I can use my laptop or desktop anyway?

Seriously about the use of this outside, that is likely a no go. But anywhere inside, yes...yes...yes!!!

So I can use it anywhere I can use my laptop or desktop anyway? What's it good for... EXACTLY? I'd like to know.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
Cut him some slack, guys. Nothing is more annoying than someone telling a member to spend all their time searching for something that isn't always entirely applicable to them...

Chill... :cool:

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
So I can use it anywhere I can use my laptop or desktop anyway? What's it good for... EXACTLY? I'd like to know.

If you don't know now, you probably wont.
1. Desktops are obsolete for most people. If there is a specific task, photo processing, programing, that requires a large monitor, then maybe.
2. Laptops are the new home small business computer. They offer power enough for nearly all tasks and are somewhat portable where they can be easily used in several rooms, or even taken on the road.
3. Smart Phones are micro computers in that you can carry one around in your pocket and use it everywhere, but they are not powerful and screen size makes them hard to see sometimes.

In between 3 and 4 fits the iPad. It is more powerful than a smartphone, and more comfortable than an laptop, esp in the bed for reading.

I dare say, many of us own more than one pair of shoes. Similar concept. There is a tool for a job. I know many of you are students and live at home, so price is an option. For those of us working stiffs, price never played into the equation. We buy them because they augment our computing experience, not as a singular tool.

If one has to ask or justify, then they don't have that need yet. But I dare say most of our purchasing decisions are not made with such scrutiny or justifications.

If you have an SUV and a Pickup truck, you might not need a Mazda Miata, but for going on a Sunday morning drive, you may want one.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

applemax said:
Cut him some slack, guys. Nothing is more annoying than someone telling a member to spend all their time searching for something that isn't always entirely applicable to them...

Chill... :cool:

Oh please. There is sooo much information here on what the ipad can and can't do, where it can do it, where it can't, and on and on. All it takes is 5 minutes of browsing the first three pages of the forum. But as is the ever increasing behavior of today's self important and entitled people, they think THEIR question warrants immediate and personal attention, regardless of the existence of a wealth of information that answers many of their questions.

To spend 5 minutes researching before posting their emergency query is too much to ask of these people. And the board gets flooded with "my repeat question is important too!" posts, while legitimately unique posts get pushed out of front page view.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Oh please. There is sooo much information here on what the ipad can and can't do, where it can do it, where it can't, and on and on. All it takes is 5 minutes of browsing the first three pages of the forum. But as is the ever increasing behavior of today's self important and entitled people, they think THEIR question warrants immediate and personal attention, regardless of the existence of a wealth of information that answers many of their questions.

To spend 5 minutes researching before posting their emergency query is too much to ask of these people. And the board gets flooded with "my repeat question is important too!" posts, while legitimately unique posts get pushed out of front page view.

Sorry to disagree or rather offer a minor correction. It does not take 5 minutes.
It takes 5 seconds b/c it's on the main thread page everyday b/c it's asked so often. It's an amazing topic by itself. Someone could write a best seller from it.

One I have not seen yet however is " Should I go to the bathroom, or wait till after it comes out first" thread.

kungfumonkey

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
Sure, but what does it do?

If you don't know now, you probably wont.
1. Desktops are obsolete for most people. If there is a specific task, photo processing, programing, that requires a large monitor, then maybe.
2. Laptops are the new home small business computer. They offer power enough for nearly all tasks and are somewhat portable where they can be easily used in several rooms, or even taken on the road.
3. Smart Phones are micro computers in that you can carry one around in your pocket and use it everywhere, but they are not powerful and screen size makes them hard to see sometimes.

In between 3 and 4 fits the iPad. It is more powerful than a smartphone, and more comfortable than an laptop, esp in the bed for reading.

I dare say, many of us own more than one pair of shoes. Similar concept. There is a tool for a job. I know many of you are students and live at home, so price is an option. For those of us working stiffs, price never played into the equation. We buy them because they augment our computing experience, not as a singular tool.

If one has to ask or justify, then they don't have that need yet. But I dare say most of our purchasing decisions are not made with such scrutiny or justifications.

If you have an SUV and a Pickup truck, you might not need a Mazda Miata, but for going on a Sunday morning drive, you may want one.

I still don't get it. Can I run iWork on it? Is it just like a laptop with a touch screen? It looks like a huge cell phone and the software is not OS X! What is it? What does it do? Just want to know is all. I can't run my apps on it but I can take it all over the place? What good is it for then? What are the "killer apps" that make the iPad useful?

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Everyone should get an iPad!! So, developers will have even greater incentive to make more amazing, jaw-dropping, kick--- apps!!! There are reasons why the iPad has sold so many in such a short period of time. Goooo fooor it!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.