Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I'm debating whether or not to buy an iPhone X. I had an iphone 5 which I bought in 2012. then in 2016, I bought the iPhone SE because i needed to replace it when my iPhone 5 died on me. The iPhone SE is great little phone, absolutely love the touch ID coming from the iPhone 5. i still cant believe at the specs, its basically an iphone 6s in an iphone 5s body

There's nothing wrong with my iPhone SE, although battery life isn't as good since i updated to iOS 11. in fact it's just awful now.

I could opt for the iphone 8 plus also, but still up on the air with that, but leaning towards iphone X. I'm not really an early adopter now, I don't want to make the same mistake with the iphone X like i did with iPhone 5, coz the following year the 5S came out and that was an amazing phone with touch ID. they basically took an iphone 5 and made it so much better. i remember buying a macbook air 13" 2012, awesome notebook but the 2013 macbook air was so much better, and had a huge improvement in battery life. so even though I kind of want the iPhone X, i feel like and know apple will improve on it next year, like maybe make the face ID much more snappier and responsive, more apps will be optimized for the iPhone X. right now it feels like like iphone X has a lot of room for improvement even though people deny it's not a beta phone.

sa3417

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
I'm debating whether or not to buy an iPhone X. I had an iphone 5 which I bought in 2012. then in 2016, I bought the iPhone SE because i needed to replace it when my iPhone 5 died on me. The iPhone SE is great little phone, absolutely love the touch ID coming from the iPhone 5.

I was in a similar position and went with the iphone 8. One reason for not buying the X was the weight - it's ~30 grams heavier than the iphone 8 (and 60 grams heavier than your SE). Coming from the 5s or even the SE, you will find that the 8 is a nice upgrade.

(unlike most on these forums, I find even the iphone 8 to be "heavy", since I was so used to the 5s form factor in my pocket)

If you are not on a budget (as in willing to spend a grand on a phone) and you can deal with the weight of the X, get one.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Nope go with the 8+ you won't be disappointed. It checks every box for 99% of the people on a smart phone.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Rumor is that there's an SE 2 coming out soon. If you really like the SE form factor, maybe you want to wait?

Reactions: geta

DantesFire

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
It sounds like you want to get it, so get it. I don't think you'll regret it based on the posts here, X is definitely a great device. That being said it's very expensive and you may be just as happy with a cheaper phone, or even waiting it out for the SE2.

Reactions: arkitect

conifer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
They will optimize iOS for SE might have to wait for 11.2 in beta now ; or 11.3

jow99

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2017
I went from an SE to an 8 Plus (instead of an X) for its larger screen area and screen width and the 16:9 aspect ratio.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I wen't for the X and here is why. By the way this are all personal observations.

Better display. For me OLED does seem superior, even though LCD on iPhone's is as great as it can get. Richer colours, excellent contrast, real blacks.
Bigger display on a smaller iPhone. That's all I have waited for. Large display that does not make me feel I am carrying a brick in my pockets.
The rest are more or less in par with 8/8+ (camera, sound quality, processor etc)
By the way, Face ID have exceeded my expectations which is a bonus.
And another thing. If you used SE and presumably you did love it due to it's size and easy one hand use, you wouldn't want to go to a massive + sized iPhone.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I came from the SE, to the X, and I will say its definitely an upgrade on a number fronts. But before I start saying how great it is, the phone is physically larger then the SE and I found I had to adjust to life with the larger phone. Its a bit more bulky in the pocket, and one handed use is not as easy as on the SE.

Yet with the said, the screen is gorgeous, force touch is a nice feature , the cameras are awesome. Overall, I highly recommend the X

Reactions: DantesFire

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
I went from SE to X and it is an amazing upgrade. However the size does take a bit of time to get used to. I still use my SE as a work phone, it is such a great device.

It is still the best looking iPhone ever made imo, with the X coming a close second.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I wouldn't give up on your SE so quickly, i've seen new SE's (out of the box) with iOS11 that works perfectly, my guess the reason for the battery issues some people having are happening because of some apps not working good under iOS11... hopefully the next iOS update will fix your issues… or maybe you should try making factory reset with fresh iOS installation.

If you like the SE so much, i would at least wait till the next SE coming out before making decisions, but if you must get new phone now, go and get the X since you like it so much, but i would get the 7 at this point - best spec\price.

Last edited:

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I did the exact thing, went from an SE to an X. While I absolutely love the X, I do kind of miss the size of the SE. I hope the rumored SE refresh would feature some of the X updates. Honestly the only reason Ive gotten it was the reduction of bezels. It is something that has bothered me for years! I will say though, that even since the X, I have been using my iPhone more than my iPads, which for those who know me is very unusual.

I would say if you were to upgrade, get the X. You also have a period of time to return it if in fact you prefer your SE, or if you are in no rush to upgrade, you could wait for the said rumored SE upgrade (if its true), but you could be waiting until summer of 2018. I still say get the X now! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: waquzy

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
I did the exact thing, went from an SE to an X. While I absolutely love the X, I do kind of miss the size of the SE. I hope the rumored SE refresh would feature some of the X updates. Honestly the only reason Ive gotten it was the reduction of bezels.

I agree 100% its like you took the words out of my mouth.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I made the jump from the SE to the X. I loved my SE, but seriously the X is the best phone I have ever owned. After a week with the X the screen on the SE will make your eyes bleed.

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
I received my new iphone X yesterday. Here is a side by side shot of my new phone and my se. I am so loving this phone so far. I don't think the actual size of this is a huge difference for me but I did have a bulky case on it since I have a grabby grandson. Everything I do is faster on this new phone. I was stunned how fast it activated and I didn't have to call Verizon. I was just suddenly mine and except for following the prompts it was the easiest iphone set up I have ever had and I have had quite a few. The face ID is so seamless, I forget it is reading my face. I love how much more screen space there is. I am happy with this.

*edited to add, I really should have wiped the screen off before snapping this picture LOL Wow the fingerprints :D

Attachments

• IMG_18951.jpg
    IMG_18951.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 128
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.