Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
Hi guys,

I have 9 PCs on my LAN that I use a lot. It is getting very annoying having stuff on one machine and then usin another at some point and not having what I want. Towing around this firewire drive is really annoying too. What I want to know is how diffic ult is it to setup an Xserve (with Xserve RAID for storage) so I can have my users accounts on there and access the same stuff from any machine on the network? Also I have a MacBook Pro. Would that be able to use it, and when AirPort wasn't available it could just go on locally and sync whatever I change when I get home? Is that easy to setup too?

Thanks

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Max on Macs said:
Hi guys,

I have 9 PCs on my LAN that I use a lot. It is getting very annoying having stuff on one machine and then usin another at some point and not having what I want. Towing around this firewire drive is really annoying too. What I want to know is how diffic ult is it to setup an Xserve (with Xserve RAID for storage) so I can have my users accounts on there and access the same stuff from any machine on the network? Also I have a MacBook Pro. Would that be able to use it, and when AirPort wasn't available it could just go on locally and sync whatever I change when I get home? Is that easy to setup too?

Thanks

Hi Max on Macs...I think an Xserve and Xraid is a great addition and not that difficult compared to other Server setups. I sent you a PM with some brief questions on what exactly your needs are and more info.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
asencif said:
Hi Max on Macs...I think an Xserve and Xraid is a great addition and not that difficult compared to other Server setups. I sent you a PM with some brief questions on what exactly your needs are and more info.

why not keep it in this post? i'm interested in this kind of stuff

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
twoodcc said:
why not keep it in this post? i'm interested in this kind of stuff

Well what do you need to know about it. The topic is very broad. Usually stating for what sort of business is going to be for helps and what you are running. Let me know what you are looking to setup and XS/XR for.

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Are you doing work that requires a dedicated server? Is setting up one of your existing PCs to have a shared folder possible?

Don't get me wrong, the XServe is a great option, but it may be overkill if you're not dealing with large media files or really need all the features that OS X Server offers...

cpjakes

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
cpjakes said:
Are you doing work that requires a dedicated server? Is setting up one of your existing PCs to have a shared folder possible?

Don't get me wrong, the XServe is a great option, but it may be overkill if you're not dealing with large media files or really need all the features that OS X Server offers...

cpjakes

The OP has 9 systems, so he's stretching it a bit with the the bandwith of his network and also with too much data displaced all over the place and too many accounts. Not sure about the other poster that wanted info on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.